Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT
|Date Opened||7/9/2018 09:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$53,935 - $69,795/year|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||7/22/2018 11:59:00 PM|
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing the most complex tasks in providing both office administration and secretarial support for a major program.
Performs the most complex office administrative duties as described in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment, formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.; proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews references materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes complex letters and/or memoranda, etc. (e.g. explaining department practices and/or policies) for own or manager's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Researches and assembles information from a variety of sources and prepares statistical and/or narrative reports; analyzes information and may make recommendations.
5. INTERPERSONAL: Acts for manager by interpreting established policies and procedures, etc.; troubleshoots by relieving manager of as much administrative detail as possible; acts for and regularly makes decisions in manager's absence (within prescribed limits of authority).
6. PROCESSING: Screens letters, memos, reports and other materials to determine action required; may make recommendations to supervisor.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); researches, assembles and coordinates meeting materials (e.g. charts, graphs, reports); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription; prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Authorizes purchases and payments (within prescribed limits of authority); develops input and prepares documentation for office and/or department budget; coordinates budget control and monitoring; develops office and/or department procedural manuals; assists in interviewing and hiring office support staff; trains office support staff; may supervise office support staff; performs related duties as required.
Considerable knowledge of office administration and management; considerable knowledge of department and/or unit policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling; considerable knowledge of business communications; knowledge of business math; considerable interpersonal skills; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers and other electronic equipment; ability to operate office suite software; ability to take notes (shorthand, speedwriting or other method acceptable to manager).
Four (4) years' experience above the routine clerk level in office support or secretarial work.
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been as a Secretary 2 or its equivalent.
College training in the secretarial sciences may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of 15 semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of two (2) years.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.