Battalion Chief (Current Fire Rescue Employees Only)
|Date Opened||8/4/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/25/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$30.66 - $39.12/hour|
|Job Type||Internal Only|
Graduation from a high school or possession of a GED Certificate;
Four years experience in a supervisory position as a Captain within the Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Department;
Possession of a valid State of Florida Firefighter’s Certificate of Compliance;
Possession of a valid Florida Driver's License.
THIS RECRUITMENT IS FOR CURRENT HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY EMPLOYEES ONLY EMPLOYEES ONLY.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Extensive knowledge of the Incident Command System.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods, techniques, practices, procedures, equipment and apparatus used in modern fire fighting and in protection of life and property from fire.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques of emergency medical service delivery.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions required of the fire and rescue work environment.
- Considerable knowledge of Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Policy and Procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of fire fighting, emergency medical, and hazardous materials terminology.
- Considerable knowledge of applicable laws and regulations governing emergency vehicle operations.
- Considerable knowledge of roads, streets, hospitals, schools, and other facilities within the response area.
- Working knowledge of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Working knowledge of diseases and emergency medical conditions, their diagnosis, and appropriate treatment procedures.
- Working knowledge of fire cause and origin.
- Working knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques of personnel management.
- Skill in the use and care of hand tools and equipment.
- Skill in identifying patient conditions based on signs and symptoms.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to make sound decisions quickly under stressful conditions.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 90 pounds.
- Ability to perform duties under hazardous conditions requiring considerable physical exertion.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, non-verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly and direct the operations of Fire Rescue employees in emergency situations.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise levels.
- Ability to maintain combat firefighter readiness status.
- Ability to plan, implement and effectively direct suppression and/or rescue activities.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Plans, organizes and directs pre-fire planning, prevention and fire fighting activities in the battalion.
- Supervises the work of subordinate staff, by scheduling, assigning and reviewing work; providing training and counseling and evaluating performance.
- Observes crews to ensure medical and procedural protocols are being adhered to.
- Serves as incident commander at major incidents including structure fires, mass casualty emergency medical situations, and any other event that requires performance within an incident command system.
- Instructs career and volunteer personnel in all aspects of fire control, extrication methods, fire prevention, new equipment, and emergency medical techniques; and reviews and verifies monthly training records.
- Inspects various structures for potential fire hazards.
- Inspects fire stations and submits reports of findings and recommendations on facilities, personnel, apparatus and equipment to ensure operational readiness.
- Ensures filing of complete fire reports and medical treatment records for assigned battalion to ensure accurate records are maintained.
- Investigates citizen complaints, documents findings, and makes recommendations for resolutions.
- Investigates and documents accidents involving Fire Rescue personnel, equipment and vehicles.
- Acts as a liaison between administrative staff and field personnel.
- Makes recommendations on purchasing equipment and supplies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
SPECIAL PROBATIONARY NOTE
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*