Senior Library Technical Assistant P/T
|Date Opened||9/22/2017 09:05:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/13/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$15.15 - $24.06/hour|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Currently enrolled as a full-time student in an ALA accredited Masters of Library and Information Science program.
- Associates degree from an accredited college or university.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Teaching experience and/or any instructional knowledge of computer software and hardware.
- Strong technical skills, including trouble-shooting basic hardware and/or software issues.
An Associate's from an accredited college or university;
One year of experience as a Library Technical Assistant, or an equivalent related position, providing automation training, installing computers and peripheral equipment, loading and configuring standard software packages, and troubleshooting routine computer hardware and software problems;
Possession of a valid Driver License.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Ability to lift, push, or handle library materials weighing up to 20 pounds. This position will also require bending, kneeling, standing, sitting and walking for extended periods of time.
Work is typically performed in a climate controlled library, but sometimes requires outdoor activities in parks, recreation centers, or other locations due to the nature of the programs being conducted.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of library services, practices and techniques.
- Working knowledge of library automated systems and personal computers.
- Working knowledge of Dewey Decimal classification numbers.
- Working knowledge of the basic operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of library automated systems and personal computers.
- Working knowledge of correct grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Some knowledge of instructional course development and classroom presentation methods and techniques.
- Some knowledge of general library collection systems.
- Some knowledge of basic mathematical functions, including counting money.
- Skills in the use of audiovisual equipment used in a training environment.
- Skill in keyboarding. Ability to develop training courses that achieve training objectives.
- Ability to schedule, coordinate and conduct training activities.
- Ability to measure training effectiveness and recommend improvements.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and related software. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain work related records and prepare reports.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to accurately sort, file, and/or retrieve material using alphabetical, numerical and chronological systems.
- Ability to lift, push, or handle library materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to stand, bend and kneel.
- Ability to stand, sit and walk for extended periods of time.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Plans, organizes and conducts computer training classes, at various locations, for Library customers in areas such as basic computer software and hardware, accessing online library catalogs and other materials, conducting internet research, and using desktop software and printing resources.
- Performs routine maintenance and testing of computer software, hardware and peripheral equipment to minimize down time and to allow customers maximum computer usage during library operating hours.
- Responds to inquiries from the general public by providing information on library services and resources.
- Monitors customer's computer usage to ensure adherence to departmental computer use guidelines.
- Gathers, compiles and compares statistical information utilized for resource allocation justification and to measure goals.
- Attends community outreach workshops to increase community awareness of available library services and programs.
- Reviews websites and trade journals for up to date information on changes in computer literacy programs.
- Checks library materials in and out, issues library cards, collects fines, and performs circulation desk associated duties.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*