Planning & Zoning Tech
|Date Opened||5/2/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Salary||$18.27 - $29.60/hour|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Associates Degree
- Bilingual (Spanish) Preferred
- Two years public contact experience that involves planning, engineering, real estate and/or legal matters
- Certified Floodplain Manager
- Working knowledge of federal and local codes associated with the National Flood Insurance Program, Hillsborough County Construction Code and the Community Rating System with knowledge of flood plain management
- Working knowledge of applicable permit requirements for structures inside and outside of the special flood hazard area
- Working knowledge of federal codes, Hillsborough County Construction Code, Land Development Code, and flood damage control regulations relating to zoning and floodplain permit requirements and inspection procedures
Associate’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university; and
Three years of public contact experience involving zoning, planning, engineering, real estate, or legal matters; and
Possession of a valid Driver License; and
Certification as a Floodplain Manager; or attain within the six months probationary period.
An equivalent combination of education (not less than a high school diploma/GED), training, and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job specific competencies listed above; and
Possession of a valid Driver License; and Certification as a Floodplain Manager; or attain within the six months probationary period.
Fluent in reading, writing and speaking in BOTH Spanish and English is Preferred.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Meets with land development customers seeking the issuance of required building permits for land development projects.
- Functions as lead worker in the research, reviewing, and coordination of land use and planning matters.
- Verifies and researches land descriptions utilizing zoning maps, legal descriptions, software and other related files.
- Ensures building permits issued are in compliance with FEMA, Federal and State, County and other applicable regulations and codes.
- Coordinates, prepare and attend Zoning Hearings.
- Process Hearing changes and recommendations from Hearing Officer.
- Provides assistance to customers and responds to inquiries/complaints.
- Tracks the status of the zoning requests as it goes through the permitting process.
- Maintain all documents for both the master file and electronic file.
- Verify completeness of all legal notice requirements for each application.
- Review site plans, surveys, legal descriptions, construction drawings, engineered grading plans and tie-in surveys for zoning conformance. Including but not limited to setbacks, height restrictions, planned development conditions of approval, variance conditions, overlay, restricted, and special district standards, conditional use standards for compliance with the land development code.
- Review site plans, surveys, legal descriptions, construction drawings, engineered grading plans and tie-in surveys for flood conformance. Including but not limited to the FEMA flood zones, base flood elevations, minimum elevation requirements for structures based on the building category within the special flood hazard area for compliance with chapter 3 of the Hillsborough county construction code.
- Researches permit history, property ownership, flood history, zoning history, land use, and comprehensive plans.
- Provide guidance, information and technical advice to developers, engineers, contractors and the general public.
- Receive and review customer complaints/concerns and recommend corrective action.
- Provide flood zone, base flood elevation and minimum elevation requirements for permitting.
- Review designs, survey data and cost estimates for construction and permitting.
- Interprets flood damage control regulations, various land use related codes, rules, regulations, policies and ordinances as these programs and regulations relate to permitting.
- Assist in providing training to staff on graphics reviews, tie-in survey reviews, flood zone determinations and elevation determinations.
- Review elevation certificates and cost estimates for substantial improvement reviews for compliance and the national flood insurance program along with flood damage control regulations.
- Participate with public workshops to perform community outreach programs, regarding updates to the flood hazard and federal flood insurance rate maps as needed.
- Knowledge of State and County Laws, ordinances, and regulations governing planning & zoning matters.
- Knowledge of general office policies, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of land development and construction terminology.
- Ability to interact with the public in a professional, courteous manner.
- Ability to answer questions and resolve problem situations or refer to appropriate office.
- Able to read and interpret maps, plans, aerials and other related documents.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to participate effectively in the formulation of departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to plan, organize and oversee the work of others.
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Skill in the use of various office equipment.
- Skilled in the use of engineering and architect scales.
- Skilled in Microsoft office products (word, excel, outlook) adobe, permits plus, OPTIX, GIS & ARCMAP essential.
- Ability to read and understand aerials, flood insurance rate maps, deeds, plats, parcel data.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, engineering drawings, land surveys and sketches.
- Ability to use initiative and sound judgment when solving problems. ·
- Ability to collect, organize and analyze data and make logical decisions.
- Ability to prepare reports and maintain records.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a certified floodplain manager certification.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others, both within and outside of the organization.
- Considerable knowledge of the various functions, activities, policies and procedures within in the development services department.
- Considerable knowledge of research techniques.
- Knowledge of federal and local codes associated with the national flood insurance program, Hillsborough county construction code, and the community rating system, with knowledge of flood plain management.
- Knowledge of applicable permit requirements for structures inside and outside of the special flood hazard area.
- Knowledge in land surveying and engineering techniques.
- Knowledge of federal codes, Hillsborough county construction code, land development code, flood damage control regulations relating to zoning and floodplain permit requirements and inspection procedures.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|Upload Resume to Start an Application|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.