Utilities Plant Operator-Shift Leader (Wastewater Operations)
|Date Opened||7/3/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/17/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$52,582.40 - $82,180.80/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Possession of a valid Driver License; and
Possession of a valid State of Florida Wastewater Plant Operator "A" Certificate of License; and
Three years leading/directing small groups, overseeing special projects, and troubleshooting experience in the Wastewater industry as a State of Florida Wastewater Plant Operator “A”.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- The work is performed in an environment where various types of chemicals are used
- Required to work in outside in all types of weather.
- Required to work in confined spaces while wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
- Required to lift up to 50 lbs. and climb up to 35 Feet.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- Responds to emergency situations such as floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, and other natural and/or unnatural crisis to provide for public health and safety.
- Prepares and maintains accurate, detailed operations reports and maintenance records.
- Collects, organizes and evaluates water/wastewater operational data, and develop logical conclusions for operational adjustments.
- Oversees and/or performs inspections of facility equipment and machinery to determine that all systems are operating properly.
- Oversees and/or performs routine and non-routine adjustments to controls in conformance with operating instructions, Florida Administrative Code, and prescribed standards.
- Notifies manager and/or other appropriate staff of needs for non-routine adjustments and/or malfunctioning of equipment.
- Performs and assists with plant maintenance work as required.
- Operates, calibrates, and maintains all department equipment, vehicles, and test equipment to ensure safe and efficient operations.
- Maintains current knowledge of Florida Administrative Code and regulatory requirements.
- Researches and responds to information requests in conformance with department procedures.
- Performs laboratory analysis on collected samples, interprets test results, and makes routine process changes following established guidelines.
- Functions as a lead worker when working with new operators or trainees.
- Implements OSHA lock-out/tag-out procedures to safely isolate equipment and remove it from service.
- Responds to customer inquiries and complaints to include determination of water quality issues and resolution, provides requested information within established guidelines and capabilities or redirects call to appropriate person to ensure good customer relations.
- Accepts documentation from chemical delivery drivers, signs to verify amounts of delivered for payment, and submits the tickets to the facility supervisor or office assistant for payment.
- Uses appropriate personal protective equipment and follows material safety data sheets recommendations for handling toxic, corrosive, and flammable materials.
- Directs the work of other staff by scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, providing training and counseling to include assisting with the training of personnel in emergency response plans and safety programs in conformance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Manages the work of subordinate staff by scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, providing training and counseling and evaluating performance.
- Trains subordinates in all aspects of job duties and responsibilities to achieve unit and organizational goals.
- Position may (in some cases will) work non-standard hours (2nd or 3rd shift, including weekends).
- Establishes and implements operating protocols for one or more water/wastewater treatment facilities which includes reclaimed water systems according to local, state, and federal regulations to ensure permit compliance.
- Assists and advises operators at all levels in the resolution of difficult process problems. Works closely with environmental laboratory personnel to develop and implement sampling and testing procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Coordinates with Reclaimed Water staff to ensure uninterrupted service to all reclaimed water customers.
- Performs related work as directed.
- Knowledge of operating principles and practices applicable to advanced treatment facilities and distribution systems.
- Knowledge of written, oral, computer communication, and analytical skills are required.
- Knowledge of department procedure and guidelines.
- Knowledge of chemistry and biology related to the operation of water/wastewater treatment facilities.
- Knowledge of all regulations governing water/wastewater treatment and operator responsibility.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with considerable independence.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate, detailed operations, and maintenance records and reports.
- Ability to understand and interpret, utilize, and adjust automation/instrumentation devices and systems to meet facility operational requirements.
- Ability and willingness to respond to emergency situations such as floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and other natural and/or unnatural crises to provide for public health and safety.
- Ability and willingness to work overtime, rotating shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*