Social Services Specialist-Bilingual
|Date Opened||9/7/2018 09:01:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/14/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$32,843.20 - $52,561.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; and
One year of experience interacting with clients in a social services environment gathering and providing information and developing case plans.
Bilingual In Spanish required
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Performing duties while under pressure to meet unexpected deadlines, dealing with hostile and/or upset clients in person and on the telephone.
- Sitting, standing, working in front of computer screen, and noise associated with office equipment.
- Nature of this position is mentally demanding and at times chaotic, levels of patience and communication are tested on a daily basis with peers, management, clients and providers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Interviews clients on the job site or through home visits, reviews documents, investigates, researches and completes forms to acquire a more than limited amount of readily available financial and other information which may be used for comparing against a variety of standards to determine eligibility for financial, medical, interment, head start, job placement, legal representation or other socioeconomic or health program.
- Collaborates with clients to develop, implement and follow-up on holistic socioeconomic case plans that address vocational, occupational, housing, food, and health needs; provide for continuity of care, effective service and progress toward self-sufficiency.
- Provides some social service program information to clients.
- Provides some social services directly to clients where program eligibility may be determined through established guidelines; refers clients to others where program eligibility requires more in-depth analysis; or refers clients to internal or external service providers.
- Schedules and administers client health screenings, coordinates client transportation needs, schedules meetings and public workshops, and monitors the status of these activities.
- Schedules meetings of clients, neighborhood groups, social services providers, and public officials to provide an opportunity for the exchange of information.
- Obtains information from service providers to authorize payment for their services.
- Performs data entry, report writing, filing, mail handling, photocopying, distribution, record keeping and other clerical duties.
- May supervise the work of others by assigning and reviewing work.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Working knowledge of Federal, State, County, and community social service programs for which most clients are eligible: eligibility requirements, application procedures, and other relevant program policies.
- Some knowledge of generally accepted social service case management procedures.
- Skill in interviewing clients to identify deficiencies in elementary personal, legal, social, economic, and health needs.
- Skill in dealing with social service clients under stressful situations.
- Skill in conducting speech, hearing, and other routine physical tests and documenting findings.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to collect and compare data to established guidelines.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer terminal to quickly and accurately enter data.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*