Traffic Sign/Marking Technician
|Date Opened||1/7/2019 10:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/21/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$27,539.20 - $42,681.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Possession of a valid Driver License.
An equivalent combination of training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted above; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Work is generally outdoors and may occur during moderately adverse conditions to include weather, traffic, dampness, exposure to storm water and waste water flows and atmospheres.
- Involves physical activities that require considerable use of arms and legs and moving the whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Lift and carry equipment for periods of short duration but repeatedly over the course of a day (occasionally requires heavy lifting)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- Operates pavement marking equipment such as small, medium and long line paint stripers, pre-melters, bituminous machine, pavement markings grinder, thermoplastic machines and generators to apply traffic control markings on roadways in accordance with work orders, blueprints, the MUTCD and Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) manuals.
- Loads, maintains and repairs road marking equipment such as small, medium and long line paint stripers, pre-melters, bituminous machines, pavement markings grinder, thermoplastic machines and generators to ensure proper operation of equipment.
- Operates equipment such as squeeze and roller sheet applicators, electric/hydraulic die cutters, computerized graphic printer/plotter, and hot ovens to fabricate traffic control signs and street markers.
- Uses the interstate machining and pressure sensitive application with the MUTCD and FDOT standards by selecting sign blanks, using a computerized graphic printer/plotter to produce sign details, using a ruler/tape measure to layout sign details on sign blanks, and applying sign detail to blank.
- Interprets work orders and associated blueprints, draws sketches and calculates measurements to determine materials needed.
- Selects traffic control signs, determines appropriate sign locations and installs signs on roadway easements.
- Sets up barricades for road closures in accordance with FDOT standards.
- Listens to and forwards citizen’s complaints, compiles reports, and attends meetings to receive and disseminate information.
- Drives pickup truck to and from work sites, loads and unloads supplies and equipment, and performs minor safety and operational checks.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of the MUTCD and FDOT Traffic Standards applicable to the application of roadway markings, sign fabrication, sign installation, or road closures.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of roadway marking, sign fabrication, or sign installation equipment.
- Knowledge of the preparation and application of materials used to mark roadways and fabricate signs.
- Knowledge of high school level mathematics.
- Knowledge of basic drafting symbols and terminology.
- Skill in operating and performing minor repairs on small, medium and long line paint stripers, pre-melters, bituminous machine, pavement markings grinder, thermoplastic machines and generators.
- Skill in using sign fabrication tools and equipment such as squeeze roller sheet applicators, electric/hydraulic die cutter, interstate applicator, hot oven and computerized graphic printer/plotter.
- Skill in using sign installation tools and equipment such as wrenches, posthole diggers, core drilling machine, and sign post extractors, electric saws and jackhammers.
- Skill in identifying discrepancies between blueprint or work order dimensions and actual road dimensions.
- Ability to apply paint and markings correctly.
- Ability to read and understand aspects of blueprints, survey maps and work orders that describe tasks to be performed.
- Ability to apply pavement markings or to fabricate and install signs.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use computer terminals to accurately make sign details.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*