Extension Agent Nutrition Health
|Date Opened||5/8/2019 4:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/24/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Commensurate with Education and Experience|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
The Florida Cooperative Extension Service is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments that provides quality, relevant education and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, natural resources, youth development, families and communities.
University of Florida/IFAS Extension and Hillsborough County seek to fill a 12-month, permanent status-accruing Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) Extension Agent position. As the Agent, you will provide direction and leadership to develop, implement, evaluate, and report on a comprehensive FCS extension program. The main focus areas will be human nutrition, health, wellness, and food systems. You will empower individuals and families to adopt healthy eating habits and lifestyle behaviors that can prevent or delay the onset of chronic illnesses such as heart disease, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and diabetes. You will also deliver food handler certification courses and provide food safety education to consumers and to public, private, and non-profit organizations.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- A bachelor’s degree in family and consumer sciences, nutrition, dietetics, health & wellness, or a closely related field of study is required. A master’s degree and professional experience are preferred.
- An agent hired without a master's degree will be expected to make at least 50% progress toward degree completion within 6 years of employment. Tuition is waived for course work completed within the State of Florida University system.
- A professional license in Dietetics as approved by the Florida Dept. of Professional Regulations is preferred.
- Bilingual ability (English/Spanish) is desirable.
- Some evening and weekend work, and occasional use of personal transportation, will be required. Must have or be able to obtain a valid Florida driver's license.
- The successful candidate will be required to actively participate in the Florida Extension Association for Family and Consumer Sciences (FEAFCS) professional organization.
- The successful candidate must pass a drug screening and background check as required by Hillsborough County policy.
- Strong writing and public speaking skills are required.
- Proficiency with late-edition Microsoft Office applications, web research, and navigation is required. Familiarity with, or willingness to learn, webpage design software and online tools in educational technology is highly desirable.
The agent will:
- Design, implement, evaluate, and report on community-based educational programs focusing on human nutrition, wellness, and food systems to consumers and organizations.
- Implement programs and provide services that reflect the diverse needs of the community.
- Manage volunteer systems and extend educational efforts through these systems.
- Develop good media relations to promote and disseminate educational information.
- Establish an advisory committee of citizens and professionals to analyze the county situation, identify priority issues, and assist with program design to reach target clientele.
- Manage financial resources to support the nutrition, wellness, and food systems FCS programs.
- Manage program components including program policies, records, risk management, communication, and educational materials.
- Establish and maintain an effective system for accountability and public information to all relevant individuals, groups, organizations, and agencies.
- Develop and sustain partnerships with community agencies and leaders, businesses, media, and the general public on local food initiatives, nutrition and wellness.
- Develop effective working relationships with the 4-H Youth Development program plus other food system and nutrition programs in Hillsborough County.
- Follow all appropriate University of Florida and Hillsborough County policies and procedures.
The agent will assume other responsibilities as assigned by the County Extension Director or District Extension Director. As a Univ. of Florida faculty member, the agent will work to acquire grants and in-kind support, lead interdisciplinary efforts, develop creative works (presentations, fact sheets, posters, webpage tools), and write non-technical educational materials for clientele.
Application Instructions Apply at http://apply.interfolio.com/62960 by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
With the exception of official transcripts, all items submitted by mail must be postmarked no later than the next business day after the position closing date. All documents submitted by fax or email must be received no later than the next business day. If your official transcripts will arrive after the closing date, you must also submit unofficial transcripts by the deadline.
Requested reference forms and transcripts should be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226.
Candidate deadline to apply is May 24, 2019.
Hillsborough County is located on the East side of Tampa Bay and includes the City of Tampa. With a population of 1,229,226, Hillsborough is one of Florida's leading urban counties as well as the fourth largest producer of agricultural products in the state of Florida. In 2012, the county produced a farm gate value of $ $702 million and had 2,466 farms.