Operations Superintendent (Mosquito Management Services)
|Date Opened||8/26/2019 10:40:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/23/2019 10:40:00 AM|
|Salary||$53,580.80 - $85,737.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Hillsborough County Public Works Department is seeking an Operations Superintendent to supervise the day-to-day field operations of Mosquito Management Services Section. The ideal candidate should have knowledge of the principles, techniques, equipment and supplies used in mosquito management; ability to plan, implement and direct mosquito management field activities and; ability to operate a variety of computer programs; ability to train and motivate subordinates; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public; be a self-starter with the ability to organize multiple projects, manage rapidly shifting priorities and produce tangible, measurable results. Candidate will be required to obtain a Public Health Spray License and an Aquatic Spray License within six months of being hired.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Plans, coordinates, schedules, and assigns a variety of work involving activities related to the day-to-day operations of multiple teams within the Mosquito Management Section, coordinates and administers assigned programs and resources.
- Sets direction and priorities and allocates staff and resources to projects and unit initiatives.
- Provides supervision, guidance, training and motivation to assigned staff; assigns, monitors and reviews work; evaluates performance and initiates corrective action as needed, including termination.
- Plans, Coordinates and schedules the use of equipment to ensure operational objectives are satisfied.
- Implements goals, policies, procedures and guidelines to ensure operational efficiency and effective administration of unit.
- Monitors work flow, data accuracy, and overall quality of work; assures processes and procedures are accomplished according to established guidelines.
- Assesses staffing needs and identifies shortfalls; interviews, recruits and hires new staff.
- Participates in budget development by providing detailed justification and persuasive arguments for proposals or unit initiatives, but has no direct budget approval responsibility.
- Coordinates with other branches/sections within own organization and external agencies/departments to ensure efficient flow of communications and services.
- Recommends training of unit personnel to ensure employees are highly trained in all assigned areas of maintenance and safety requirements.
- Prepares a variety of documents for the purpose of documenting activities and administering assigned programs and resources.
- Responds to emergency situations such as hurricanes.
Considerable knowledge of the mosquito management functions, services, procedures and regulations.
- Knowledge of management and supervisory practices and techniques.
- Ability to support, promote, and ensure alignment with the department's/agency's goals and vision.
- Ability to effectively recruit, select, develop and retain competent staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with others within and outside own organization.
- Ability to use initiative and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively manage and guide group efforts.
- Ability to create solutions to problems using new methods and processes.
- Skill in the use of various heavy equipment and complex machinery.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SOME POSITIONS
- Possession of a current State of Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Public Applicator License in Aquatic Pest Control and a current State of Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Public Health Pest Control Certification within the probationary period.
- Possession of a valid Class B or higher Commercial Driver License (CDL) may be required.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*