Engineering Associate (Transportation Review)
|Date Opened||9/27/2019 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/7/2019 08:44:00 AM|
|Salary||$53,060.80 - $84,905.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Ten years of experience in designing, implementing, planning, developing, and reviewing roadway, drainage and stormwater engineering projects.
An equivalent combination of relevant education (not less than possession of a High School diploma/GED), training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted above.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Work is performed in the office and construction sites
- Requires frequent standing, sitting, walking, and stooping.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- Reviews CIP construction contract plans for conformance with design standards, criteria, and sound engineering practices.
- Reviews all assigned projects for ADA compliance, pedestrian and bicycle safety and connectivity, constructability, operations, and ease of maintenance.
- Reviews all assigned projects for constructability of proposed design.
- Provides clear concise comments supported by standards, criteria and sound engineering practices, (FDOT Standard Plans, FDOT Design Manual, FDOT Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction, County Manuals, Procedures, Policies, Initiatives, and other applicable standards).
- Provides comments and recommendations for design issues in electronic format as part of the current review process.
- Follows current work procedures and makes recommendations for how to improve procedures.
- Performs field reviews as needed and incorporates in reviews the information gathered during field reviews.
- Participates in Design Review Meetings set by county project managers as requested by the supervisor.
- Assists the supervisor with composing documents, maintaining databases, addressing responses to comments and other activities as requested.
- Assists with the creation of project initiation forms and project scopes.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices for assigned functional area.
- Knowledge of engineering design criteria and standards.
- Knowledge of construction standards, methods, and materials.
- Knowledge of pavement design and criteria.
- Knowledge of land surveying methods and practices.
- Knowledge of design calculations
- Knowledge of engineering plans standard symbols
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, regulations, and policies.
- Knowledge of applicable FDOT and Hillsborough County design standards and criteria.
- Knowledge of applicable computer software (Windows, Excel, Word, Power Point, Adobe Pro, GIS, MicroStation and/or AutoCAD)
- Skill to utilize computer systems to efficiently and effectively accomplish work assignments.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to interpret and apply technical information contained in procedures, manuals and standards to accomplish the review process for selected projects.
- Ability to identify discrepancies between the proposed design and plans provided for review.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload effectively to accomplish assigned projects on schedule.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations.
- Ability to keep and organize back up documentation.
- Ability to collect, organize and evaluate data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to utilize and learn computer applications to effectively and efficiently perform work tasks.
- Ability to conduct and perform field reviews to identify and assess deficient roadway conditions.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. #VIZI*