Engineering Associate (Traffic Engineering)
|Date Opened||10/1/2019 12:01:00 PM|
|Salary||$53,060.80 - $84,905.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Hillsborough County Public Works Administration is seeking an Engineering Associate to provide inspections on traffic sign & markings, signals and develop work orders and maintenance repair estimates based on observed deficiencies and determine repair/replacement strategies. The ideal candidate will have working knowledge of Hillsborough County and FDOT design specifications and Federal Highway Administration’s Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). The candidates will need strong communication abilities and effectively working with others to determine agreeable solutions to issues.
A Bachelor's degree in Engineering.
Ten years of experience inspecting traffic sign, markings and signals
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted below.
Possession of a valid driver’s license.
• Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve.
• Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations.
• Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
• Working knowledge of design criteria and standards, Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices and Florida Department of Transportation and Hillsborough County standards.
• Ability to read, interpret and review engineering drawings, specifications and contract documents.
• Physical ability for extended field reviews/investigations during day/night.
• Ability to drive motor vehicle with traffic engineering equipment.
• Ability to put together engineering design plans using Computer Aided Design (CAD) software.
• Experience with computer operating systems and software (Microsoft Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint)
• Familiar with applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, regulations and policies governing traffic engineering
• Ability to identify discrepancies between work performed and specifications.
• Capacity to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
• Oral and writing communication ability.
• Be able to keep accurate field notes and perform engineering calculations.
• Competence to collect, organize, analyze, evaluate data and develop logical conclusion, and prepare written documentation.
• Communicate with citizen in a respectful and considerate manner.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
• Assists in the planning, development and oversight of public works or developer projects to include developing and maintaining documentation and correspondence; investigating and resolving concerns and complaints; reviewing permit certifications; overseeing engineering technician inspectors; leading material testing; reviewing work schedules and making recommendations; reviewing and maintaining logs for submittal of material in accordance with specifications; resolving minor conflicts at construction site; reviewing claims submitted by contractors; and performing interim and final inspections.
• Designs small parts of engineering projects to include collecting data, modeling, writing specifications, reviewing plans, performing calculations, reviewing aerial/soil maps and survey and historical data; computing quantities; preparing estimates; assisting in preparing design contracts; recommending changes; preparing construction drawings; preparing permits; reviewing consultants design work and preparing reports.
• Assists in construction operations and maintenance project management by preparing or reviewing construction drawings, specifications, plans and permit packages; preparing change orders and allowance authorizations; and identifying permit, equipment, material, and personnel requirements.
• Performs or supervises the inspection of public works or developer projects to ensure compliance with plans, specifications and contract requirements.
• Oversees, reviews and evaluates the work of technical support personnel.
• Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices for assigned functional area.
- Knowledge of engineering design criteria, standards, and applicable permit requirements.
- Knowledge of construction standards, methods, materials, and inspection techniques.
- Knowledge of field testing, sampling, and investigative techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, regulations and policies.
- Knowledge of testing and monitoring devices and techniques.
- Knowledge of environmental regulations and requirements.
- Knowledge of health and safety standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of project management theory, techniques, and tools.
- Ability to manage, train, schedule, assign, monitor, review, and evaluate assigned staff.
- Ability to organize, analyze, interpret, and evaluate engineering problems and provide practical, cost effective solutions.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.