Paratransit Minibus Operator (Sunshine Line)
|Date Opened||10/18/2019 8:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/1/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$27,476.80 - $41,225.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate
Successful completion of the Paratransit Minibus Operator Trainee period; One year of work experience operating a passenger vehicle for hire or nonprofit organization transporting passengers
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted above.
Possession of a valid Driver license.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Heavy work - Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds or force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Regularly required to sit; use of hands and fingers, handle or feet reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Requires ability to lift, push, pull, assist and secure wheelchair passengers and minimum 50 lbs.
- Ability and willingness to perform physically demanding work outdoors in a sub-tropical climate under adverse weather conditions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Operates a specially equipped minibus, van or similar vehicle to transport customers, including those with physical or mental disabilities to and from scheduled appointments by following a prescribed route and schedule.
- Assists customers from the pick-up location door to the vehicle, including assisting with securing seatbelts, and from the vehicle to the door at a destination.
- Performs safety inspections on vehicles before operating to detect and report any mechanical malfunctions or safety issues that would prevent the safe transportation of passengers.
- Maneuvers wheelchairs, operates wheel chair lifts, and properly secures wheelchairs.
- Operates two-way radios and maintains communications to ensure efficient daily operations.
- Records daily information on passengers, trips, mileage, pick-up and drop off times using a mobile data equipment or paper manifest.
- Attends training and testing programs or seminars as required.
- Cleans and performs minor preventive maintenance to vehicles.
- Provides first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) to customers during emergencies as necessary.
- Responds to Emergency Operations Center requests to evacuate special needs citizens in the event of an emergency.
- Performs some dispatcher, scheduler and administrative duties as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of providing assistance for people with disabilities, mobility restrictions, and other related transportation needs.
- Knowledge of Hillsborough County roads, streets and traffic patterns.
- Knowledge of the general policies, guidelines and procedures that govern providing door-to-door service
- Skill in driving and maintaining a minibus, van or similar vehicle.
- Skill in the application of first aid and CPR.
- Skill in working with persons with disabilities and older adults.
- Skill in working with mobility devices.
- Ability to safely operate and maintain a minibus, van, or similar vehicle.
- Ability to maneuver a wheelchair, operate a wheelchair lift, and properly use wheelchair tie downs.
- Ability to read a street map and maintain records.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and conform to Departmental standards.
- Ability to work flexible hours that may vary based on operational needs which may include evenings, weekends, nights, and holidays.
- Ability to work from different locations as needed throughout the County.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively with others in a diverse population.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SOME POSITIONS
- Passing a Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) prescribed physical examination, a satisfactory driving record, and pass a background review prior to employment.
- Passing all required driver training and possession of a valid CPR and First-Aid Certification; and conformance to Departmental standards within the probationary period.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*