Accountant (Sunshine Line)
|Date Opened||11/19/2019 2:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/21/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$58,385.60 - $93,392.00/year|
|Job Type||Internal Only|
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance; AND
- Four years of experience as a professional accountant.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job specific competencies listed above.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Uses innovative approaches, thinks independently, and exercises sound judgment, creating solutions to resolve complex issues resulting in positive outcomes.
- Able to monitor own work and make adjustments to improve performance and effectiveness. Works to support, promote, and ensure alignment with the departments/county's goals and vision.
- Provide exceptional customer care and apply conflict resolution skills.
- Position is typically in an office environment.
- Requires an employee to be mostly sedentary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Plans, organizes, directs, controls, and/or supervises assigned accounting and financial functions, programs, and systems as a department’s lead fiscal position, or as the lead for a program/functional area within a large department, to include annual risk assessment and review and approval of fiscal transactions in the accounting system.
- Supervises assigned fiscal and/or clerical employees and prepares employee performance reviews.
- Follows countywide fiscal related policies and procedures.
- Develops and implements internal departmental accounting procedures, evaluates effectiveness, and makes changes as necessary to ensure proper risk management strategies.
- Manages accounting and budget functions within a department or a program/functional area within a large department.
- Prepares complex journal entries; reconciliations of general ledger transactions to the applicable sub-ledger; processes and reconciles accounts receivable and payables; reconciles and submits billing information, and resolves complex expenditure issues.
- Meets with Department Director and management staff to discuss financial position, service and project costing, evaluate the fiscal impact of operational initiatives, and coordinates activities with other departments to ensure adequate flow of pertinent information.
- Reviews and approves routine accounting entries.
- Prepares complex analyses and reports to support current and new operational initiatives; evaluates operating initiatives and environmental factors on costs of services; and assists with the development of operational efficiency measures.
- Provides guidance and assistance to department staff on a broad variety of fiscal/budget topics.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial and status reports for management, to include customized Business Intelligence (BI) reports, budget versus actual reports, projections, variance analysis; cost recovery reports, rate studies, and statistical information.
- Leads and/or assists with the development and management of the department's operating and capital projects budgets, to include preparation, projections, analysis, and training of subordinates.
- Identifies fiscal needs for budget amendments and prepares draft budget resolutions and amendments for approval by the Board of County Commissioners.
- Performs financial analysis to include budget versus actual revenue variances and projections, environmental scan/trends for service delivery impact, revenue management and position control.
- Monitors fiscal aspects of all grants and capital projects to include set-up, creation of task structure, projections and cash flows, reimbursement requests, and internal and external reporting.
- Attends department staff meetings or program oversight boards as required in order to provide fiscal guidance, reporting and/or analysis.
- Prepare monthly capital improvement project reports analyzing multi-funding sources and bond/grant requirements, and performs special assessment reconciliations.
- Manages automated inventory systems and supervises fixed asset recording, transfer, and disposal.
- Provides assistance and/or leads cycle counts, periodic inventory counts and annual fixed asset inventory count.
- Participates and assists in local, state, federal, and annual financial audits.
- Performs other duties as needed, including those performed by subordinate fiscal, financial, and clerical staff.
- Knowledge of governmental accounting and auditing principles, practices, procedures, methods, and theory.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting systems to include automated accounting system applications.
- Knowledge of the specific accounting and reporting requirements and the complete accounting cycle of the organization to which assigned.
- Knowledge of budgetary procedures and controls.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles, practices and procedures.
- Ability to schedule, assign, monitor, review and evaluate the work of assigned subordinates.
- Ability to analyze and audit accounting, fiscal, payroll and leave data, reports and statements.
- Ability to prepare accounting and audit records, statements, and reports.
- Ability to read, comprehend, interpret and apply job related laws, rules, policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop computer based spreadsheets, graphs, summaries, and reports.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*