Veterans Service Officer (Consumer and Veteran Services)
|Date Opened||11/12/2019 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/19/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$38,771.20 - $62,025.60/year|
|Department||Consumer Protection & Veterans Services|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university
A veteran who served as a member of the U.S. Armed Services during a period of war, as defined in Title 38, U.S.C. with at least eighteen months of active duty military service who separated under honorable conditions, or be the surviving spouse of any such veteran.
Be an honorably discharged wartime veteran who was discharged for service connected or aggravated medical reasons before serving eighteen months of active duty who either completed a tour of duty other than active duty for training, regardless of the length of the tour, or who satisfied his/her military obligation in a manner other than active duty for training or reserve duty.
An equivalent combination of education (not less than a high school diploma/GED), training, and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted above.
Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of the customers and provide the highest standards of service.
Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve.
Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations.
Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals.
This position takes place in an office environment.
Requires sitting for an extended period of time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Interviews veterans, their survivors and dependents and other interested parties to determine their benefit eligibility entitlement under Federal, State and County laws and regulations.
- Reviews and processes claims based on military service involving death, compensation, pension, hospitalization, insurance, outpatient treatment, educational assistance, and other related claims and forwards them to appropriate agencies.
- Refers veterans, their survivors and dependents and other interested parties to Federal, State or County agencies for services they may require.
- Conducts field visits to assist disabled applicants to initiate or follow up on claims for benefits.
- May supervise office activities in the absence of the program coordinator.
- Reviews new and proposed law changes and their applicability to veterans benefit eligibility entitlements.
- Prepares and makes presentations to veterans, civic groups and allied agencies on veteran's rights, privileges and benefits.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and County laws and regulations related to veterans’ benefits, claims and appeals procedures.
- Knowledge of interviewing and counseling techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to make group presentations.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to collect, organize and analyze data to develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to maintain work related records and prepare reports.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*