Accounting Manager (Budget Monitoring & Management Support)
|Date Opened||11/2/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/23/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$75,129.60 - $116,459.20/year|
|Department||Clerk of Circuit Court|
The Clerk of the Circuit Court is looking for new members to join our team as part of one of the finest organizations in Hillsborough County. Employees of the Clerk of the Circuit Court provide quality service to our public.
As a member of our working team, you will occupy a position offering a unique challenge. You are, in effect, working both for your neighbors and yourself while constantly improving your community. You are a public employee performing essential services for the people of Hillsborough County. Our county’s citizens are affected by your on-the-job performance and their opinions of our organization are directly influenced by your conduct. Wherever you work in the Clerk’s organization, please keep in mind the trust that the people of Hillsborough County have placed in your hands. By meeting all of your responsibilities in the most efficient and courteous manner possible, you will find your efforts rewarding.
Job opportunities are offered first to current Clerk of the Circuit Court Employees. If a Clerk employee is not selected, consideration will be then given to applicants outside of the office.
This office reserves the right to consider how your application is prepared. It will be considered only if it is written with clarity and contains the required transcripts, certificates and licenses or other specified documents.
The Clerk of Circuit Court / Comptroller is the CFO of Hillsborough County, a large county with total annual revenues of about $1.4 billion. The Clerk of Circuit Court is responsible for accounting functions for the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners. Since the adopted budget and budget amendments control expenditures at the County, the “Accounting Manager – Budget Monitoring and Management Support” is responsible for ensuring that the budget and budget amendments are in compliance with Florida Statutes, BOCC and other County Policies, federal, accounting and governmental accounting requirements. This Accounting Manager’s section of the County Finance Department is also responsible for maintaining the general ledger and other account codes in the Oracle E-Business Suite ERP system.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Five (5) years of experience as a professional accountant in Accounting, Budgeting, Auditing, Financial or Business Analysis, of which three years of experience is in a supervisory capacity
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
• Knowledge of Financial Accounting. A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
• Knowledge of an Oracle ERP system or a similar ERP system such as SAP, PeopleSoft or JD Edwards and associated reporting tools. Knowledge of computerized accounting and information systems and associated processes is a big plus.
• Knowledge of business practices and effective internal controls.
• Ability to create reports and/or extract information from the accounting system.
• Experience with budgeting. Experience with state/local government budgeting would be a plus.
• Skill in preparing and/or reviewing journal entries and/or budget amendments.
• Experience with creating and/or maintaining general ledger accounts.
• Skill in writing e-mails, memos, letters and reports.
• Ability to understand business processes from an internal control perspective.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Ability to effectively interact with co-workers, auditors, other governmental agencies/departments, vendors and consultants.
• Ability to solve Accounting or Accounting system problems and answer questions verbally and in writing.
• Ability to analyze new situations and proposed budgets in terms of compliance with governmental accounting principles, Florida statutes, County policies and procedures, or needed revisions.
• Ability to create training for County departments
• Ability to recommend or develop internal or external policies, procedures or changes for them.
• Ability to diplomatically explain errors that need correction.
• Ability to manage time and prioritize workload effectively.
• Well rounded knowledge or financial functions such as financial reporting, payables, receivables, capital assets, debt, investments, and financial systems.
• Ability to effectively manage, schedule, train, monitor, and evaluate assigned staff.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
The focus of this position is to understand the transactions or business processes underlying the budget, watch for potential compliance issues, prevent problems and possibly provide alternative solutions that comply with requirements. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described as follows:
• Conduct and coordinate the Clerk of Circuit Court’s audit of the County Administrator’s recommended budget.
• Review budget amendments for compliance with governmental accounting standards, generally accepted accounting principles, Florida Statutes, contractual agreements, and County policies and procedures.
• Conduct workgroups or training sessions to solve problems, collaboratively develop new processes, and train personnel.
• Develop in-depth knowledge of Florida Statutes and County policies that affect the County budget, County operations and related accounting practices.
• Develop in-depth knowledge of the Oracle ERP system including the General Ledger, related Subledgers and subsystems, account structures, and Business Intelligence (BI or OBIEE) reporting.
• Set up and maintain General Ledger and Projects Module account codes and hierarchies (i.e. chart of accounts). This would include funds, cost centers, natural accounts (such as assets, liabilities, equity, revenues and expenditures), functions, projects, awards, etc.
• Handle new work assignments or projects in other areas as needed.
• Represent the County Finance Department in dealings with other governmental entities or related organizations.
• Supervise and evaluate assigned staff.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: Preference will ONLY be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation to support entitlement to preference MUST be provided at the time of application.
RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities.
CLERK OF THE CIRCUIT COURT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Clerk of the Circuit Court provides equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, political affiliations, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors.
Clerk of the Circuit Court welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.