|Date Opened||10/22/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/19/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$129,000 - $206,700/Yr DOQ|
|Department||Tampa Sports Authority|
In addition, the General Counsel will be responsible for development and implementation of legal opinions, document development, advising Authority administration and its Board on legal matters and overseeing all Authority legal representation to promote efficiency of operation and quality of service within the Authority.
The General Counsel will be responsible for the general administration, management, coordination and supervision of legal activities for the Authority. A strong emphasis will be placed on Florida laws relating to Special Districts, tenant license/lease agreements, insurance requirements and compliance, construction contracts, event license agreements and real estate administration.
The General Counsel will be responsible for overall planning, organizing, controlling, monitoring of Authority legal and legislative matters to ensure effective protection to the Authority on all legal matters. The General Counsel shall also be responsible for tenant legal relations and contract management with Hillsborough County, the City of Tampa, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tampa Bay Lightning and the New York Yankees.
In addition, the General Counsel shall be responsible for development and implementation of legal opinions, advising Authority Administration and Board on legal matters and overseeing all Authority legal representation to promote efficiency of operation and quality of service within the Authority.
Admission to the Florida Bar and in good standing to practice law in Florida; and
Eight (8) years of professional experience as an attorney with a minimum of five (5) years of experience pertaining to public sector and governmental law.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Extensive knowledge of general principles of Florida laws relating to Special Districts, tenant license/lease agreements, construction contracts, event license agreements and real estate administration
- Extensive knowledge of employment and insurance laws, to provide review and counsel to senior management
- Ability and willingness to work irregular schedules, including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills including the ability to motivate and work collaboratively with others
- Ability to ensure accuracy of contract billings
- Ability to develop and maintain accurate records, logs and reports for the legal department
- Ability to interact with tenants, fellow employees, clients, contractors, the general public and outside vendors in a courteous, cooperative and professional manner
- Ability to maintain a high public image, positive attitude and demeanor when performing a service for customers and the general public in the venues
- Ability to demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills in the English language
- Ability to stand or walk for long periods of time
- Develops and implements long-term and day-to-day legal requirements for the Authority policies and procedures.
- Conducts and/or directs legal research, surveys other governmental agencies to identify successful legal positions and recommends the use of outside attorneys for specialized matters.
- Oversees and provides direction for all specialized contracted legal service contractors.
- Maintains monthly litigation status reports for all Authority business lines.
- Provides day to day advice to all staff and Authority Board on all Authority related legal matters.
- Develops, negotiates and reviews contracts and interlocal agreements for legal sufficiency.
- Drafts and prepares legal written or verbal opinions for the President/CEO and the Board of Directors.
- Prepares Board resolutions and agenda action items.
- Advises on public records laws, public meeting laws, the Authority’s Enabling Act, Special District and other applicable laws, ordinances and by-laws that govern and/or regulate the Authority.
- Coordinates training programs designed to educate directors, staff and managers related to Federal, State and Local mandated laws and/or ordinances.
- Attends all Authority board, committee and such other meetings as requested by the President/CEO; Represents the Authority before the City of Tampa, Hillsborough County and/or other government agencies, as needed.
- Oversees all Raymond James Stadium condominium requirements and documents; Coordinates the development or removal of condominium units as required.
- Provides legal advice to the President and board of the Condominium Association and complete all annual legal requirements.
- Oversees department-specific budget development and provides monthly expense projections; Prepares and monitors with the President/CEO and the Vice President of Finance the annual legal budget including verification of proper coding of departmental purchases to ensure accurate accounting and provide sufficient data for planning.
- Oversees purchasing procedures within the department to ensure compliance with Authority Enabling Act and purchasing guidelines.
- Develops, reviews and submits timely and accurate bid specifications for equipment services and construction projects.
- Seeks out, develops and maintains participation in industry related associations and trade shows to keep abreast of innovations and improvements in procedures and practices within the industry; applies this knowledge in improvements to the delivery of services and reductions in operating expenses.
- Provides leadership on continuous improvement and team building efforts.
- Participates in weekly executive staff meetings, employee committees and Authority staff meetings emphasizing team management, high morale and quality service to Authority customers.
- Participates and conducts internal investigations as required by any on-going disciplinary process and make legal recommendations as required.
- Provides a safe environment free of harassment for department employees and ensure compliance with all applicable OSHA standards and local, state and federal laws including the American with Disabilities Act.
- Uses computer terminal to enter and retrieve information and prepare reports on departmental activity for the Authority Board of Directors at all monthly Authority committee and board meetings.
- Oversees the creation and maintenance of the Authority legal filing system and records to ensure that required documentation, event details, licensing and accurate event billing have been reviewed and filed in compliance with all Authority policies, State, Federal and Local laws and/or ordinances.
- Performs other duties, functions, special projects and responsibilities, as assigned.
DRUG-FREE WORK PLACE: The employers of Hillsborough County have implemented a drug-free workplace and all offers of employment are conditioned on job applicants successfully passing a drug test.
RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities.
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Hillsborough County provides equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, political affiliations, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors.
AMERICANS with DISABILITIES ACT (ADA): Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at email@example.com.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.