District Legislative Assistant (District 20)
|Date Opened||11/8/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/31/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Salary is commensurate with experience|
|Department||Senator Tom Lee|
|Job Type||Other Area Jobs|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university; and
One year of administrative experience.
A Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
NOTE: Professional or non-professional administrative experience can substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required college education.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- General knowledge of Florida state government structure, function, and legislative processes
- Personal knowledge of stakeholders within the district and surrounding areas
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and organized
- Advanced communication, interpersonal, and judgement-making skills
- Advanced writing and editing skills
- Ability to independently coordinate and plan events
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member and to contribute to the effective internal functioning of the operation
- Ability to travel within the district and to Tallahassee during committee meetings and relocate to Tallahassee for Session, as needed.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Developing strategic communications plans.
- Building relationships with state and local media to secure coverage and schedule interviews.
- Using social media to engage audiences across traditional and new media.
- Creating content for press releases, newsletters, emails, speeches and talking points.
- Monitoring and analyzing media coverage.
- Scheduling appointments and maintaining the Senator's calendar.
- Planning and coordinating events.
- Meeting with constituents and interested stakeholders or persons.
- Attending meetings and events with or on behalf of the Senator.
- Working with groups to identify key issues for the district.
- Objectively analyzing and summarizing proposed legislation to determine efficacy and potential impacts on individuals, local and state governments, and any other public or private entities or stakeholders.
- Working with legislative staff or independently to draft, file, and manage legislation and appropriations.
- Working with legislative staff and constituents to advance legislation.
- Handling constituent requests.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Interested parties must send a cover letter, resume and completed Florida Legislature Employment
The Honorable Tom Lee
c/o Charlie Snook
915 Oakfield Drive, Suite D
Brandon, Florida 33511
or email to: Charlie Snook, Snook.Charlie@flsenate.gov
Subject line must be styled as "LAST NAME, FIRST NAME - DESIRED POSITION"
Applications are available through the Florida Legislature's web site Online Sunshine and in Room 701 of the Claude Pepper Building.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Excellent employee benefits.
Accommodation for Disability
If an accommodation is needed for a disability, please notify Human Resources at (850) 488-6803.