Public Relations Strategist
|Date Opened||11/6/2018 2:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/20/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$55,000 - $60,000|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
The Children’s Board of Hillsborough County has been proudly serving children and families since 1988. The strategic focus of the Children’s Board is to provide funding to local organizations that share a common goal of providing support services to children so they can lead a healthy, safe, and productive life, allowing the whole community to thrive.
Our funded partners have clearly defined goals and outcomes that are regularly monitored for quality and performance. It is the Children’s Board vision that Hillsborough County will be recognized as one of the top five places in the nation to raise children. The Children’s Board believes our people are our greatest asset. We offer an environment that challenges everyone to grow, contribute, excel and share successes.
Read on to learn more about this exciting opportunity to join our team!
A Bachelor's degree; and
Three years of experience strategizing, planning and implementing comprehensive public relations and community engagement programs.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public relations strategy development and how it relates to positive and effective community and media relations
- Comprehensive knowledge of writing and editing press releases, positioning stories, pitches, articles, newsletters and other communications materials
- Ability to prioritize work in a deadline driven environment
- Sound knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, spelling and proofreading
- A comprehensive knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and target audiences
- Strong copywriting and editorial skills
- Ability to handle extremely delicate/sensitive relationships and complex situations, information, and materials
- Ability to use considerable initiative, think independently, and exercise sound judgment
- Ability to develop effective, positive relationships in both public and private sectors in Hillsborough County
- Knowledge of government procurement and budgeting
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Knowledge of Florida State Sunshine Laws
- Thorough understanding of the local media market and deadlines
- Ability to speak confidently and informatively to media
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others within and outside the Children’s Board
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with others while maintaining a positive, proactive attitude
- Dedication and commitment to a quality work product
- Ability to work non-standard hours
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Develops and executes strategic public relations and marketing campaigns related Children’s Board initiatives.
- Develops proactive outreach strategies including news releases, media pitches, community events, special events, and speaking opportunities to foster a positive informative relationship between the Children’s Board and Hillsborough County residents.
- Develops, procures, and disseminates marketing materials and collateral publications.
- Serves as webmaster as it relates to website content and design.
- Manage Public Relations contracts related to communications strategies.
- Represent the department/agency at meetings, functions, speaking opportunities and events.
- Plan, organize and execute special events.
- Compiles data and participates in preparing statistical analyses and reports of activities and achievements.
- Keeps current with technology and trends for communications.
- Track, monitor and evaluate activities, placements and accomplishments.
- Complete special assignments and projects as directed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: The Civil Service Board and its client agencies value the service veterans and their family members have given to our country and support the hiring of returning service members and military spouses. Therefore, special consideration and priority in appointment will be given to veteran preference-eligible applicants (as described in Section 295.07, F.S.) throughout each step of the selection process.
The applicant claiming veterans' preference is responsible for providing required documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference. This documentation may be provided at the time of application submission. Documentation can easily be provided to us electronically through this online application system (preferred), but can also be provided to us by email, fax, or USPS. However, in ALL cases, required documentation must be provided to us prior to the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Applicants that meet the minimum job requirements and qualify for Veterans’ Preference who believe they have not been afforded employment preference in accordance with applicable Florida law, may file a written complaint requesting an investigation with the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Division of Benefits and Assistance, 9500 Bay Pines Blvd, Room 214, St. Petersburg, Florida 33708. The complaint must be filed within 60 calendar days from the date the applicant receives notice that s/he was not selected. Prior to filing a complaint, however, it is the responsibility of the preference-eligible applicant to contact the employer at least one time after 45 days have passed from the final date for submitting an application or the interview date, whichever is later in time, if the applicant has not received notice of a hiring decision.
For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit the Civil Service Board website by clicking here.
DRUG-FREE WORK PLACE: The employers of Hillsborough County have implemented a drug-free workplace and all offers of employment are conditioned on job applicants successfully passing a drug test.
RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities.
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Hillsborough County provides equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, political affiliations, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors.
AMERICANS with DISABILITIES ACT (ADA): Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at email@example.com.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.