Environmental Scientist I
|Date Opened||11/14/2019 10:01:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/28/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$35,380.80 - $57,865.60/year|
|Department||Environmental Protection Commission|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Bachelor's degree in a Natural Science; and
Possession of a valid Driver's License.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted below.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of laboratory analysis methods and procedures.
- Working knowledge of environmental pollutants sampling and testing.
- Working knowledge of Federal, State, and local environmental control and mitigation laws and regulations.
- Skill in the use and operation of laboratory equipment.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to conduct and interpret chemical laboratory test results.
- Ability to use and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Ability to use and operate SCUBA equipment and boats.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Conducts laboratory tests of pollutants samples by using chemical, physical, microbiological, chromatographic, atomic absorption and/or colorimetric analyses.
Prepares chemical reagents, maintains inventory of laboratory equipment and supplies, maintains sample logs and compiles statistical data.
- Recommends new and improved laboratory procedures.
- Investigates permit applications, field reviews, wetland delineations and defines jurisdictional limits of wetlands.
- Investigates site mitigation and reviews asbuilt drawings to assure compliance with specifications.
- Conducts field inspections to ensure compliance with wetland regulations and takes enforcement action when required.
- Investigates and resolves citizens complaints related to noise, air or water quality.
- Takes water samples from water bodies and tributaries to determine quality and habitat information.
- Performs quality assurance audits on ambient air or water monitoring equipment.
- Conducts special studies and analyses on ambient air quality.
- Conducts surveys of air monitoring stations.
- May utilize self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) equipment or boats in the performance of some of the duties.
- May make minor repairs and adjustments to laboratory and field instruments and equipment.
- Prepares and submits detailed reports of activities.
- Performs other related duties are required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*