DESIGNATED ADMIN MANAGER II
PUBLIC AFFAIRS/COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
|Department||DAT Office of the Director|
|Date Opened||7/31/2014 12:05:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/15/2014 4:30:00 PM|
|Salary||$64,670.00 -$71,123.00 (Promotional candidates are subject to State Salary Guidelines)|
|HR Analyst||Evelyn Powell|
The State Department of Assessments (SDAT) is seeking a Designated Administrator II (Public Relations/Communications Officer). This position is responsible for managing the public relations function for the State Department of Assessments & Taxation. The position builds and sustains the Agency's reputation for quality, reliability, and customer satisfaction. Writes and delivers press releases and handles all major communication sent to the press and the general public.
This position will focus on all possible media opportunities, including traditional, news media outlets, and will advance the SDAT's message in the press year-round, including during the busy annual reassessment cycle. Effective plans will integrate all aspects of SDAT and will be closely integrated with marketing, broadcast, digital and social media plans. Plans should also include a crisis and issues management plan to protect the Agency and the State of Maryland reputation when faced with challenges.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Assessments and Taxation
Office of the Director
300 W. Preston Street, Room 605
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
To serve as the Director of Communications/Public Affairs managing internal and external information for the State Department of Assessments and Taxation. To manage key activities for the Communication/Public Affairs office to build awareness of programs among key constituencies and the public, and assist with SDAT's social media efforts. The Public Relations/Communication Director will play a key role in ongoing media relations and electronic communications, working with the Department's Director. The management of communique's quickly and efficiently conveys the agencies commitment to providing customer service in a manner that is courteous and convenient.
Ensure that the public views the organization favorably.
Create and disseminate press releases. Manage media relations and maximize media opportunities.
Develop strong relationships with media reps.
Contact members of the media to set up interviews.
Develop branding initiatives, internal communications and external media relations.
Manage all written publications prepared by the agency.
Responds to all communication through Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Email, Written or Oral correspondence.
Develop internal publications such as newsletters, releases, email announcements, planned publications, on-line, intra-net, video, special projects and assignments.
Advising on Social media best practices.
Drafts for Senior administration responses to all correspondence referred by the Governor's office and from members of the General Assembly and Local elected officials.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing or other related area.
- Minimum of 10 year's Public Relations, Marketing and Writing experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Proven track record supporting efforts to build awareness
- Demonstrated experience in Written communication skills
- Experience in using digitally engaged communication (Facebook, Twitter...)
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively will all Agency staff.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and leading National public relations campaigns that are aligned and integrated with strong branding or marketing initiatives.
- Must have demonstrated experience in utilizing digital media to create robust and compelling content that increases and enhances customer experiences.
- Proven experience serving as a spokesperson within a high-profile organization including managing media during crisis situations.
- Deep knowledge of communications vehicles, including print, broadcast, electronic, social and digital media.
- Demonstrated success evaluating changing business conditions and effectively shifting communications priorities as necessary.
- Keen sense of judgment and tact, as well as the ablity to work with all levels of management, the media and/or general public.
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Solid management skills, with the capability to effectively manage project and processes across multiple areas of the organization.
- Ability to interface, impact and influence at all levels within the organization.
You must include three writing samples prior to the closing date inorder to be considered. Applicants will be evaluated based on their applications and materials submitted in relation to the position requirements. Therefore, please provide complete and accurate information.
State of Maryland Benefits
HOW TO APPLY: You must apply on line via the State's new on-line employment application system at the following web address: www.dbm.maryland.gov to be considered for this recruitment. If you are unable to access the website, you may forward a paper application to the State Department of Assessments and Taxation. Attention: Office of Human Resources, 300 W. Preston Street, Room 511, Baltimore, Maryland 21201. DO NOT SUBMIT FORM MS-100 AS IT WILL BE RETURNED. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of the State application. Please refrain from writing "See Resume" or "See Attached" on the application. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted online or received in our office NO LATER THAN the close of business August 14, 2014. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Applications may be obtained by visiting the DBM website at: www.dbm.maryland.gov; or by calling 410-767-1140. TTY: users call Maryland Relay Services, 800-735-2258.
This is a Management Service position, which serves at the pleasure of the Director, Department of Assessments and Taxation.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.