|Department||Maryland State Police|
|Salary||$25,502.00 - $39,574.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Stephanie Allen|
Questions pertaining to the Cadet position or process should be directed to the Maryland State Police Recruitment and Selection Unit. You may email your questions to email@example.com. Please ensure all email correspondence with MSP recruiting staff include an appropriate subject line explaining the purpose of the email notice.
The Maryland State Police has a unique, unclassified position available to young men and women - State Police Cadet. Cadet applicants must be 18 years of age and a high school graduate (or equivalent) to be considered for employment.
LOCATION OF POSITION
This is a statewide position. While Maryland State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division will take county residency into account, assignment will depend on need.
Selected applicants must be willing to work in any county in Maryland.
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to expose young men and women to the various duties and responsibilities of Maryland State Troopers and to better prepare them to become Troopers when they reach the age of 21.
Cadets are assigned to perform duties that do not require police authority. They are generally assigned to the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division. Cadets will be assigned to work under the supervision of a Trooper at a truck inspection station or on patrol.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- United States Citizen (for more information regarding qualifications of US citizenship, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship)
- Age - Cadet applicants may complete the application process at the age of 17, but cannot be appointed or begin working until he reaches the age of 18. Cadet Applicants must be appointed before reaching 20 years of age.
- Residency - Applicants do not need to be a Maryland resident to process. However, they must become a Maryland resident on the date of appointment as cadet.
- Must have a high school diploma or a G.E.D. (Cadet Applicants may begin the application process in the final year of high school).
- Must possess a valid Driver's License in any state and a satisfactory driving record, current driving record cannot exceed 3 points, in the event you exceed this requirement please wait to apply until you are at or below 3 points.
- Must be in excellent physical condition.
- Binocular visual acuity must be 20/20 with or without correction.
- Have a good reputation and sound moral character.
- Not have any current court orders relating to domestic violence.
- Be truthful in every stage of the application process.
An individual is ineligible for initial certification as a trooper or cadet if the individual has: Illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana for any purpose within the 3 years before application for certification.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
Body Modification and Tattoo Policies Body modifications that are medically necessary due to deformity or injury are not covered by this policy.
Body modifications covered by this policy include:
2. tongue splitting or bifurcation;
3. abnormal shaping of the ears, eyes or nose;
4. abnormal filing of the teeth;
5. branding or scarification;
6. trans-dermal implantation of any object (other than hair replacement);
Prohibited body modifications include, but are not limited to:
1. depictions of nudity or violence;
2. sexually explicit or vulgar art, works or phrases;
3. profane language;
4. symbols likely to incite a strong reaction in the workplace (e.g., swastikas);
5. initials, acronyms or numbers that represent criminal or historically-oppressive organizations (e.g., AB, KKK, SS, MM, BGF, HA, 666) or street gang names, numbers or symbols;
6. body modifications of the face, ears and neck;
7. teeth, whether natural, capped or veneer, that are ornamented with designs, jewels, etc.
The hiring process for Cadet applicants is structured, rigorous and detailed. It is designed to help select those applicants who are most qualified.
Below you will find an overview of the process. You must successfully complete each step to move on in the process.
* PLEASE NOTE: It is the goal of the Maryland State Police to hire applicants who possess the qualifications and the dedication to become a Cadet. Please understand that if you successfully complete all phases of this process, you MAY receive a Final Offer of Employment. Cadets are hired based upon the needs of the Department.
Successful completion of all phases of the hiring process does not guarantee a Final Offer of Employment.
1. COMPLETION OF THE ONLINE APPLICATION TO THE INDICATED STOP POINT
2. ATTENDANCE OF AN APPLICANT ORIENTATION
3. FUNCTIONAL FITNESS ASSESSMENT TEST
4. SUBMISSION OF THE ENTIRE ONLINE APPLICATION
5. ORAL INTERVIEW
7. BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
8. WRITTEN EXAM
9. MEDICAL TESTING
10. POLICE SELECTION COMMITTEE
The Maryland State Police Cadet application requires additional forms to be uploaded and submitted with the application.
These forms include but not limited to: Birth Certificate
High School Diploma / GED
High School / GED transcripts
College transcripts (if applicable) *one transcript from every college, trade school or university must be submitted*
Copy of Driver's license and Driving record from each state you have been licensed in
Selective Service Registration (if applicable)
DD214 (if applicable)
Authorization of Release of Information
Essential Job Functions
Photos of all tattoos and or body modifications
If you have more than one page to upload, for instance you attended two colleges and have two transcripts, you must scan them in as a single multi-paged document. They should be in a PDF or image format. If you cannot upload the required documents, or have any issues with uploading the documents, please contact the Maryland State Police Recruitment and Selection Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional instructions.
As a note, the polygraph booklet form cannot, at this time, be uploaded and must be emailed to the Recruitment and Selection Unit at Stephanie.Allen@maryland.gov.
Application Completion Error Recommendations: If you are receiving error messages during the completion of the online application, please follow the recommendations below.
Ensure that the Internet Browser is Internet Explorer version 6 through 9 Save periodically using the Save Changes, or Save and Continue button
During questions pertaining to military service, only list the state when asked for the Unit Address
If you have any further errors please take a screenshot of the error code. Send the screenshot with details regarding your internet browser / version to Stephanie.Allen@maryland.gov.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.