***REPOSTED*** FISCAL SERVICES ADMINISTRATOR II
Assistant Director of Budget and Management
|Department||DPSCS General Administration|
|Date Opened||11/13/2017 10:40:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/27/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$53,193.00 - $85,401.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Kimberly Hare|
This is a position in Management Service.
The individual selected to fill this position will serve at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Office of the Secretary, Office of Financial Services
300 E. Joppa Road, Suite 1000
Towson, Maryland 21286
Main Purpose of Job
This position serves as the Assistant Director of Budget and Management. The main purpose of this position is to assist the Director in supervising and monitoring the development, preparation, submission and implementation of the Department’s operating budget, and to assist management staff in exercising budgetary control of expenditures for the agencies within the Department.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Assists the Director in establishing guidelines and procedures for the preparation of the individual agency budget requests and providing instruction, training and assistance to the fiscal officers and other personnel who are responsible for the preparation of the agencies’ budget requests. Specifically,
1. Responsible for distribution of the Operating Budget Instructions and other necessary information/instructions to the fiscal officers and other personnel within this department who are responsible for the preparation of specific agencies’ budgets.
2. Conducts an annual training class on Department of Budget Management’s (DBM) computerized budget data base (HOBO) for fiscal officers and other personnel within this department. Fields inquiries and assists personnel who have questions or experience problems using HOBO.
3. Provides instruction and assistance in budget preparation to any fiscal officer or other employee within this department who is responsible for an agency’s budget preparation, but who has not previously prepared an agency’s budget request.
Budget Review and Submission;
Initially receives the budget request forms and related computer spreadsheet submitted by each agency, and is responsible for verifying the accuracy, completeness, and consistency of information and presentation of the submitted budget request. This review may be performed by this employee, or by other employees within the unit under the direction of this employee.
Upon completion of the final review and verification that all required corrections have been made, this employee is responsible for submitting the budget request (i.e., HOBO files, budget request forms) to DBM, and ensuring that copies have been retained for internal use, and returned to the submitting agency.
Budget Analysis and Support;
After the submission of the budget request, this employee may be required to respond to inquiries from the DBM’s budget analyst and from the Department of Fiscal Service’s administrative analyst, for clarification and/or additional information concerning the budget request/allowances.
Assists the Director in analyzing budgetary information and/or historical expenditure data, as required by the Deputy Secretary and the Secretary to defend the budget request to the Governor and to defend the budget allowance at the Legislative Budget Committee hearings.
After passage of the budget bill by the legislature, this employee assists the Director in the preparation of letters notifying each agency of its appropriation and the number of authorized positions for the next fiscal year.
Responsible for establishing and maintaining the appropriation control ledger, a linked Excel file which shows the appropriation by agency and program, by object and by fund.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university or a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with 30 credit hours in accounting and related courses, including or supplemented by 3 credit hours in audit
Experience: Four years of experience examining, analyzing and interpreting accounting systems, records and reports by applying generally accepted accounting principles.
1. Applicants who had met the requirements for admission to the CPA examination prior to July 1, 1974 will be considered to have met the educational requirement referenced above.
2. Possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a master’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
3. Applicants may substitute one year of professional budgeting experience or one year of professional auditing experience for one year of the required experience.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Please make sure that you provide complete and accurate information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after the above closing date.
Submit your qualifying documents; the preferred method is to upload them using the "other" tab on the online application. However, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application. Online applications are STRONGLY recommended; if you do not have internet access, please mail your application by the closing date to:
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination
6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 309
Baltimore, MD 21215
For more information, please call 410-585-3060
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay