PROGRAM MANAGER II
Deputy Director, Office of Government & Legislative Affairs
|Department||DPSCS-Operations and Administration|
|Date Opened||9/28/2017 2:05:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/12/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$56,743.00 - $91,107.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Cynthia Wingate|
This is a Management Service position, and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services
Office of the Secretary - Office of Legislative Affairs
45 Calvert Street, Sutie B-7
Annapolis, MD 21401
Main Purpose of Job
A. Legislative Responsibilities (State and Federal)
- Assists with the development of policy and procedures for the Department's legislative program
- Assists in drafting legislative proposals, justification, explanations, and/or history of the legislative proposal for each package submitted to the Governor's Legislative Office.
- Assists in drafting and coordinating various reports due to the legislature, including the Joint Chairman's Report on behalf of the Secretary. This includes the substantial editing and review of said reports prior to submission.
- Assists in reviewing all legislation during the General Assembly that may impact the Department, and help craft positions.
- Assists the Director in the capacity of an official spokesperson and representative of the Secretary and various agency heads during and out of the Legislative Session.
- Track legislation and budget bills through the legislative process.
- Assists in acting as the liaison between other Departmental representatives to ensure there are no conflicts between agencies, Departments, and/or Governor's agenda.
- Provides assistance to legislators in addressing constituent concerns relating to the Department..
- Assist in coordinating fiscal and policy note repsonses from th Department's Legislative Liaison to the Department of Legislative Services.
- Assist in drafting testimony for Budget Hearings.
- Attends meetings with legislators and legislative aides.
B. Represents the Director and Department at various Commissions and Workgroups, including Justice Reinvestment Act related groups.
Education: Master's degree in Political Science, Public Policy, or related field, or a Juris Doctor degree.
Experience: At least 2 years experience working for a legislator or lobbying the legislature.
Note: A Bachelor's degree, plus six (6) years experience working for a legislator or lobbying the legislature can substitute for the required education.
Applicants must meet the selective qualification(s) to be considered. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
6 years of Maryland General Assembly experience
To submit qualifying documents; the preferred method is to upload them using the “other” tab on the online application. However, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
Online applications are STRONGLY recommended; if you do not have internet access, please mail the Maryland State Application (paper) by the closing date to:
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination
ATTN: Cynthia Wingate
6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 309 Baltimore, MD 21215
For more information, please call 410-585-3560
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.