MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL COUNSELOR
|Department||DPSCS-Eastern Correctional Institution|
|Date Opened||6/21/2018 10:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/27/2018 12:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$52,846.00 with potential growth to $70,265.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Tiffany Arrington|
This is an agency specific recruitment for DPSCS - Eastern Correctional Institution location only.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Eastern Correctional Institution
30420 Revells Neck Road
Westover, MD 21890
Main Purpose of Job
Functioning as an independently licensed mental health professions, the Mental Health Professional Counselor is responsible for providing mental health services to inmates within a defined population of a correctional facility. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assess the inmate's situation to determine the appropriate services using clinical interview techniques, objective assessments, and psychological testing under the supervision of a licensed psychologist.
- Intervene in crisis situations to de-escalate the situation and provide acute care using suicide prevention planning and crisis intervention techniques.
- Develop treatment plans and provides treatment to inmates who have significant mental or emotional disorders through the use of individual and/or group counseling.
- Develop and implement behavioral management plans for inmates that are disruptive to the operation. Refers inmates for other services such as psychiatric care, inpatient mental health services, case management planning, medical evaluations, addiction services, etc.
- Document services rendered to the inmate in the EPHR in accordance with established procedures.
- Evaluate inmates for changes in security classifications using psychological tests combined with information gathered in the clinical interview in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Review charts/EPHR as needed and assigned by department head.
- Adhere to accepted ethical and behavioral standards of conduct and participates in continuing professional development.
- May collaborate with other professionals in carrying out research in correctional work.
Administrative/Supervisory & Ancillary Duties:
The Mental Health Professional Counselor is responsible for some non-clinical, lead and/or administrative duties related to the performance of the above-described primary duties, which include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain statistics to summarize the daily psychological services completed.
- Participate in training students, and non-professional staff.
- Serve on special work groups and projects as assigned.
Education: Determined by the Maryland State Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists under the requirements for Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC).
Experience: Determined by the Maryland State Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists under the requirements for Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC).
Note: These requirements are established by the Maryland State Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists. The Department of Budget and Management, Office of Personnel Services and Benefits does not have the authority to accept substitutions or equivalents.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. In accordance with Health Occupations Title 17 and Code of Maryland Regulations 10.58.01.05, candidates placed in this classification must be licensed by the Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists as a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC).
2. Candidates appointed to positions in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be included in further evaluation. The evaluation may be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. if applicable. For education obtained outside the U.S., any job offer will be contingent on the candidate providing an evaluation for equivalency by a foreign credential evaluation service prior to starting employment (and may be requested prior to interview).
Complete applications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be added.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov. Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
To submit your qualifying documents; the preferred method is to upload them using the "other" tab on the online application. However, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Online applications are STRONGLY recommended; if you do not have internet access, please mail your application by the closing date to:
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination
ATTN: Tiffany Arrington
6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 309
Baltimore, MD 21215
For more information, please call 410-585-3391 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.