|Department||DGS Facilities Operations and Maintenance|
|Date Opened||6/20/2018 09:45:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/7/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$28,702 - $36,715/year with progression to $44,812|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
LOCATION OF POSITION
The current position is within the MD Department of General Services, Facilities Operations & Maintenance Division located in Baltimore City, Maryland.
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to perform journey level work in painting, finishing, and maintaining of a wide variety of interior and exterior surfaces and structures throughout the Baltimore Public Buildings & Grounds Complex, under the supervision of a Maintenance Supervisor. Although the bulk of work time is spent in actual performance of painting and repair tasks, the employee may serve as a lead worker of a team of maintenance mechanics, service workers and janitorial employees or sub-contractors.
This is an emergency essential classification subject to emergency release procedures. Employees in this classification must be willing and available for duty at such hours, day or night and are required to remain or report for duty at such hours as needed to maintain the continuous operation of this agency.
If you are the selected candidate you will be required to take a Pre-Employment Physical. This will assess your ability to safely perform the essential functions of the position.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Prepares, primes, sands, seals, patches and paints furniture, surfaces, building, and fixtures utilizing all types of painting materials such as varnish lacquer, shellac, enamel, latex, epoxy, water-proofing and heat resistant finishes, tapes flushes, repairs and applies texturing, wallpaper, and acoustic layers on a variety of surfaces. Graffiti response and removal using a variety of available products. Operates, cleans and maintains all painting equipment, including brush, rollers, sprayers and electrostatic sprayers, pumps, etc. Safely stores and labels all materials.
- Estimates time and materials required; keeps computerized records and submits reports of work. Offers assistance and advice on materials, designs and color. Assists in the writing of specifications for repairs and new construction. Reads and understands blueprints. Maintains appropriate service and repair records.
- Responds to routine and emergency calls for repairs and service. Perform advanced and general maintenance such as changing filters, greasing motors, and replace lighting ballasts and lamps. Perform basic plumbing tasks such as replacing washers and flush odometers and make repairs to floors and walls.
- Assists with training of lower level maintenance mechanics and others; prepares requisitions for equipment, materials and supplies; and prepares written reports on condition of equipment. Ensures the safe operation and storage of maintenance tools and equipment.
Education: Completion of the eighth grade.
Experience: Four years of experience in painting work.
1. Additional painting experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to two years of the required education.
2. A degree from an accredited vocational or technical high school with a concentration in painting may be substituted for up to three years of the required painting experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Painters, Construction and Maintenance classifications or Painters, Construction and Maintenance specialty codes in the Painting field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Applicants with the following experience are preferred:
- painting exterior surfaces
- plastering, spackling and puttying surfaces
- use of solvents
- scraping, burning, brushing and sand papering surfaces
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Applicants are encouraged to upload proof of education (transcripts), professional license and certifications, when applicable, during the recruitment process as these items will be required at the time of selection.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-767-4986 with questions about this recruitment.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dbm.maryland.gov – click on the State Jobs tab. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Room 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are also encouraged to apply.
Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity, as an equal opportunity employer.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|