FIRE SAFETY INSPECTOR I
|Department||MSP Fire Prevention Commission and Fire Marshal|
|Date Opened||8/8/2018 3:15:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/22/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$34,390.00 - $54,186.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Caryn McMahon|
This is a recruitment for the Fire Safety Inspector I Contractual classification in Allegany County.
In order to be considered for this position applicants MUST FULLY DOCUMENT specific educational and experience requirements.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Office of the State Fire Marshal - Western Region
1125 National Highway
Cumberland, MD 21502
Main Purpose of Job
Conducts fire safety inspections of new and existing structures by identifying the occupancy classification, computing the allowable occupant load, inspecting the means of egress elements, verifying the type of construction for an addition or remodeling project to ensure the structures meet local and State laws.
Conducts fire safety inspections of facilities that require licenses by other State agencies, such as health care, public and private schools, correctional facilities, day camps and migrant camps to ensure fire prevention measures are in place prior to issuing a license.
Conducts fire safety inspections of places of public assembly, such as bars and restaurants, exhibition halls, commercial and mercantile buildings, hotel and motels to ensure public Safety. Inspect and witness licensed public fireworks displays to ensure public safety.
Prepares appropriate correspondence to communicate observations of fire code violations so that the report accurately reflects the findings of the inspection in accordance with applicable codes and standards.
Maintains records, files and related documents of inspections in accordance with record-keeping policies and procedures.
Determines operation readiness of new and existing fixed fire suppression systems, operation readiness of existing fire detection and alarm systems, and operation readiness of existing portable fire extinguishers prior to occupancy.
Investigates common fire code complaints reported to the regional office. Records the information and follows through until the complaint is resolved.
Testifies at legal proceedings and Fire Prevention Commission meetings regarding disputes over inspections and fire code violations.
Verifies code compliance for storage, handling and use of hazardous materials, flammable and combustible liquids and gases to prevent a fire hazards.
Notifies local jurisdictions of facilities that need permits or plan reviews in order to continue with the building of the facility.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
1. Experience inspecting buildings and other places of public assembly for compliance with fire prevention and safety laws, codes and regulations may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Firefighter classifications or Firefighter specialty codes in the fire inspection field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Experience performing fire safety inspections in buildings with multiple uses.
2. Fire Safety Inspector certification.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees are assigned duties in a given service area of the State.
2. Candidates for positions in this classification will be subject to an initial drug screening, a physical examination and a complete criminal background investigation before permanent appointment can be made. A criminal conviction record may be grounds for rejection of the candidate.
3. Employees in this classification must successfully meet the standards established by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 1031) for Fire Safety Inspector I prior to completion of the probationary period.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
If you are unable to apply online, you may submit an application via mail. The Maryland State Application Form can be found online.
Completed application, required documentation and any required addendums may be mailed to:
Office of the State Fire Marshal
1201 Reisterstown Road Pikesville, MD 21208
ATTN: Pamela Harvey
Questions or concerns regarding this recruitment may be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
It is the policy of the Office of the State Fire Marshal to comply with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting employment discrimination and to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|