Metro Regional Planner V
|Department||MDP Local Planning Assistance|
|Date Opened||11/28/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/21/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$53,193.00 - $85,401.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Cindy Mann|
The Maryland Department of Planning (MDP) is seeking talented, energetic, and motivated professionals to join its Local Assistance and Training Division and expand its Regional Planning Program in Maryland’s dense Central, Southern, and Capital Regions.
Two new statewide planning efforts, “Reinvest Maryland 2.0” and the “A Better Maryland” state development plan, offer exciting opportunities to advance revitalization, compact transit oriented development, and sustainability in furthering the next generation of Smart Growth.
In addition to overseeing the work of other regional planners, this position will be the Regional Planner for Maryland's Capital Region. The Regional Planning work program presents an unparalleled variety of projects for the proper candidate, spanning the spectrum from municipal community development and grant administration to statewide policy review and comprehensive growth management.
This position is located at the Department of Planning’s headquarters at State Center in Baltimore City. The office is within walking distance of light rail, Metro subway, historic neighborhoods, restaurants and cultural attractions.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Planning
301 W. Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
This is high level professional planning work in the field of local, regional and State planning. This position supervises regional planners in central Maryland to provide general planning advice and technical assistance to municipalities and counties. This position will provide local and regional technical assistance services in furtherance of programs and policies of the department and serves a lead role in special projects that the department undertakes.
This position will be expected to build upon and enhance the department's position, visibility, and role in planning issues in the more populous portions of the State. The position is responsible for reviewing and commenting on planning and growth-related plans and ordinances including local comprehensive plans, master water and sewer plans, amendments, annexations, and other local planning efforts and initiatives to ensure local plans and ordinances are consistent with state planning goals and laws.
Liaison to other State agencies where appropriate and as assigned.
Review of and reporting on local water and sewer plans, comprehensive plans, annexations, and other plans assigned for alignment with state law and goals, and department policies.
Establish and coordinate the department’s technical assistance program for the three assigned regions described above: to include comprehensive and infrastructure planning, plan implementation, document and plan review, and tracking. This includes the development and implementation of a new and adaptive role for the department to assist with planning efforts in Maryland’s population centers, which traditionally do not need as much direct technical assistance as the more rural regions in the state.
Develop Local Assistance and Training Division standard operating procedures.
Serve as a primary staff to the Maryland Sustainable Growth Commission (SGC), and coordinate/facilitate the activities of its various workgroups.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning.
Experience: Four years of experience in planning.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Environmental Studies, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs and one additional year of experience in planning for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning for the required education and one year of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs and one additional year in planning for the required education for the required degree in Planning.
4. Candidates may substitute an additional Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs for one year of the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute a Ph.D. from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, or Urban Affairs for one year of the required experience.
6. Applicant may substitute a Ph.D. degree from an accredited college or university in Planning for the required education and two years of the required experience.
7. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Logistics, Urban Planning, Architect classifications or Logistics, Urban Planning, Architect specialty codes in the Architect field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Three years of experience in the following:
Experience in local government and/or experience providing planning and related technical assistance to government and non-government organizations. Ideally, this experience should include a variety of issues, including long range and current planning, zoning and subdivision review, and community engagement.
Experience managing and executing complex planning, zoning and community development projects that involve multiple stakeholders, sometimes competing interests, and the development of new communication channels.
Experience making public presentations and representing a department or organization on committees and other representative bodies.
Proficiency with office productivity software, GIS, site design and visualization tools such as Sketch Up, InDesign, Photoshop or similar.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service needs to be provided before hire.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are not able to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire (by the closing date) to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 W. Preston St., Suite 608
Baltimore, MD 21201
Attn: For inquiries regarding this recruitment, please call 410-767-3623.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling 410-767-3623.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|