OFFICE SECRETARY II
|Department||DPSCS DPP West Region|
|Date Opened||10/30/2018 2:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/14/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$28,702.00 - $44,812.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Thomasine Johnson|
*This position is limited to current contractual and permanent Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DPSCS) employees only.
LOCATION OF POSITION
*Several positions are located throughout the State of Maryland. Therefore, the resulting eligible list will be used to fill current and future vacancies.
Main Purpose of Job
- Provide Clerical support and develop methods and procedures which will best produce results in accordance with agency standards.
- Maintain important and confidential files, personnel files, mailing lists, general files, procedural files, and opened and closed case files.
- Answer phones, screen calls, leave appropriate messages, schedule appointments, answer general questions.
- Assembles and completes a variety of reports, posts information to records and logs
- Uses standard word processing and peripheral equipment to produce correspondence, report tables, etc. from rough drafts or corrected copies and edited grammar, punctuation and spelling.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Two years performing secretarial or clerical work involving typing duties.
1. Additional secretarial or clerical experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Thirty credit hours with a major in secretarial science or office technology from an accredited college may be substituted at the rate of thirty credits for one year of experience for up to two years of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Administration classifications or Administrative, Clerical, or Office Services specialty codes in the Administrative Support field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Please include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications
- Six months of experience using Microsoft Word to produce routine letters, memorandums and reports
- Six months of experience handling customer services inquires.
- Experience handling confidential files and correspondence.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after the above closing date.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
The resulting eligible list will be used to fill current and future vacancies in this job classification. Applicants certified to this list will remain eligible for one year.
To submit qualifying documents; the preferred method is to upload them using the "other" tab on the online application. However, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
Online applications are STRONGLY recommended; if you do not have internet access, please mail your application by the closing date to:
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination
300 Joppa Road
Towson, MD 21286
Attn: T. Johnson
For more information, please call 410-339-4214.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.