PARK SERVICES MANAGER I
Deep Creek Lake State Park
|Department||DNR - Maryland Park Service - State Wide Operation|
|Date Opened||6/5/2018 2:54:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/19/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$49,899.00 - $80,078.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Charles Hecker|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Maryland Park Service is currently accepting applications for a Park Services Manager I position, which serves as the manager of Deep Creek Lake State Park in Swanton, Maryland (Garrett County). This position serves under the managerial supervision of the Western Regional Manager of the Maryland Park Service and is responsible for overseeing visitor resources, personnel, equipment and facility management, maintenance and protection of Maryland State Parks.
This position develops strategies to address issues and opportunities to enhance park programs and operations, maximize revenues, and meet visitor expectations for quality resource-based recreation and interpretive services. This position is also responsible for ensuring proper allocation and use of Maryland Park Service resources such as personnel, equipment and funding. Duties also include the review, evaluation and support of emergency response capabilities and plans for visitor services, resource protection and employee safety activities at Deep Creek Lake State Park to safeguard visitors, personnel and resources. These positions represent the Department of Natural Resources as a liaison with local governments, businesses and community groups. Duties also include enforcement of DNR regulations and policies to ensure public safety, as well as the protection of Maryland’s natural, cultural, historical and recreational resources.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in forestry, forest management, natural resources management, parks and recreation, business management, education, history, or a related natural science from an accredited four-year college or university.
Experience: Four years of experience supervising personnel engaged in park or forest operations work.
1. Applicants may substitute additional experience as defined above for the required education at the rate of one year of experience, for up to four years of the required education.
2. Applicants may substitute additional experience in park or forest operations work at the rate of two years for each year of the required supervisory experience for up to two years of the required experience.
3. Possession of a Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in forestry, forestry management, nature resources management, parks and recreation, business administration, education, history, or a related natural resources field may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualifications; please include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
1. Professional experience in managing park operations and supervising employees in a national, state or local park system.
2. Three years of professional field-level experience working in a park setting.
3. Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
4. Experience in budget and personnel management.
5. Experience in managing natural, cultural and historical resources.
6. Experience working with community and government agency partners to provide public safety, resource protection and other government agencies.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees are subject to call-in 24 hours a day.
2. Employees in this classification may be subject to assignment in any county of the State. Upon permanent appointment, the employee may be required to reside in the county or region assigned.
3. Employees in this classification must be trained in First Responder Training or other equivalent first aid training.
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date with the exception of a foreign degree evaluation (if applicable). Your application may be approved pending receipt of the evaluation.
For education obtained outside of the United States (U.S.), you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service. If you possess a degree obtained outside of the U.S., please submit a detailed, course-by-course evaluation report from one of the U.S. equivalency evaluating members identified at http://www.naces.org/members.html prior to hire.
Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Your application is part of the examination process. The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of this position. The rating will be based on the information provided on your application. Therefore, it is important you provide all the experience and education that is related to this position completely and accurately. Verifiable volunteer experience will be considered; please include it on your application, if applicable.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application. Please do not submit unsolicited documentation (resumes, cover letters, etc.).
You will be required to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
The online application is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to:
Department of Natural Resources
580 Taylor Avenue, C-3
Annapolis, MD 21401
The Human Resource Department is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
Specific inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Chuck Hecker at
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.