ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER III
Emergency Management Specialist, Junior
|Department||Maryland Emergency Management Agency|
|Date Opened||6/21/2019 08:24:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/6/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$20.88 - $25.98/hour|
|HR Analyst||Kristi Metzger|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Reisterstown, MD 21136
Main Purpose of Job
The Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) is the agency of State government with primary responsibility and authority for emergency preparedness policy, and for coordinating hazard mitigation, incident response, and disaster recovery. MEMA works to ensure that all Marylanders are prepared, and to make Maryland more resilient. Emergency management project leads support MEMA’s mission by supporting projects and programs which ultimately enhance preparedness for all Marylanders.
This position primarily reports to the MEMA School Emergency Management Project Manager and is responsible for supporting a variety of emergency management projects across a spectrum of subject areas. As a junior emergency management specialist, the individual completes specific components of an overall project and completes tasks assigned by an emergency management project manager and emergency management project lead. This position serves in a support capacity in emergency management programs and primarily conducts a variety of administrative tasks in support of overall objectives and desired project outcomes.
This position works closely with emergency management project managers, project leads, project staff, and agency stakeholders, and others at the direction of project managers in pursuit of a desired outcome. Junior emergency management specialist must be well versed in the administrative procedures and have a baseline understanding of emergency management concepts to complete tasks established by project managers. Junior emergency management specialists produce written work, conduct administrative tasks such as documenting meetings, findings, etc., and support other key aspects of project tasks. The junior emergency management specialist is considered an entry-level staff member charged with providing broad support, much of which is administrative in nature, across a wide spectrum of projects.
Examples of projects this position will support include contingency planning, training development/execution, exercise development/execution, strategic planning, policy development, implementation of technology solutions, community-outreach projects, and facility-specific projects.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, this position requires strong communication, presentation, organizational, and writing skills.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a member of project teams to include developing materials, conducting analysis, writing, reviewing, and finalizing project deliverables.
- This position also performs a variety of administrative support tasks included but not limited to producing meeting notes, compiling feedback from stakeholders, scheduling meetings, developing presentations, and conducting other tasks as assigned.
- Support Maryland’s strategic goals and objectives for homeland security as outlined by the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and as defined within the MEMS Strategic Plan and MEMA Strategic Plan.
- Emergency and Disaster response and recovery operations as needed and/or assigned by agency Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director, Directors, or Operations Personnel.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
Experience: Three years experience in administrative or professional work.
1. Candidates may substitute additional experience in administrative staff or professional work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute additional graduate level education at an accredited college or university at the rate of 30 semester credit hours for each year of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer involving staff work that included the regular use of independent judgment and analysis in applying and interpreting complex administrative plans, policies, rules or regulations or analysis of operational programs or procedures with recommendations for improvement on a year-for-year basis for the required education and experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Adobe Pro, and Google G Suite
- Experience with management tools/software