DJS YOUTH RECREATION SPECIALIST I
|Department||DJS Eastern Region - State Operated Facilities|
|Date Opened||12/19/2018 4:20:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/3/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$32,364.00 - $50,818.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Shavonne Holman|
LOCATION OF POSITION
300 Scheeler Road
Chestertown, MD 21620
Main Purpose of Job
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Maryland Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: One year of experience supervising the recreational activities of children or youth in a recreation center, fitness center or school setting.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209, Annotated Code of Maryland.
2. Candidates may substitute possession of an Associate of Arts degree from an accredited college or university in a recreational program such as Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies; Sports and Fitness Administration or Health and Physical Education or 60 credit hours with 30 credit hours in the required areas for the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Recreation Aid and Assistant classifications or Recreation Aid Assistant specialty codes in the Social Science, Psychology and Welfare field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
2. Experience demonstrating safe use of physical education equipment.
3. CPR certification.
4. Bachelor’s Degree in Physical Education.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification must complete and successfully pass the Entrance Level Correctional Training Course for DJS support staff required for the Maryland Correctional Training Commission certificate during the probationary period.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. In accordance with the Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209 of the Annotated Code of Maryland, the Maryland Correctional Training Commission shall establish the minimum qualifications for probationary or permanent appointment of a Department of Juvenile Services employee. These requirements are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.10.01.04, general regulations of the Maryland Correctional Training Commission, and include:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
Must be at least 21 years of age
A thorough background check, including fingerprinting and drug testing
An oral interview, and
Physical and psychological examinations.
2. Employees in this classification may be subject to call-in and, therefore, may be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number where the employee can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09 – Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
If you completed education outside of the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service. The Certified Eligible list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. Please note that your answers on the supplemental questionnaire must correspond to the information provided on your application to receive credit.
Maryland Department of Juvenile Services
OHR-Recruitment & Examination Unit
One Center Plaza
120 W. Fayette St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Attn: Shavonne Holman
Fax number 410-333-4188
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Should additional information regarding this recruitment be required, please contact DJS Office of Human Resources at email@example.com. Include the Recruitment Title/Number that is located at the top of the bulletin.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
DJS values the experience gained by Veterans while serving our country. Veterans are welcome to apply for all current recruitments.
Bilingual applicants are welcome to apply for all recruitments.
The resulting Certified Eligible List for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.