PARK TECHNICIAN LEAD
4 positions available
|Department||DNR - Maryland Park Service - State Wide Operation|
|Date Opened||6/11/2018 1:42:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/25/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$34,390.00 - $54,186.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Charles Hecker|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Gunpowder Falls State Park, Kingsville Maryland (Baltimore County)
New Germany State Park, Grantsville, Maryland (Garrett County)
Tuckahoe State Park, Queen Anne, Maryland (Caroline County)
Main Purpose of Job
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Maryland Park Service, is currently accepting applications for full-time Park Technician Lead positions at Gunpowder Falls State Park in Kingsville, Maryland (Baltimore County), Greenbrier State Park in Boonsboro, Maryland (Washington County), New Germany State Park in Grantsville, Maryland (Garrett County), and Tuckahoe State Park in Queen Anne, Maryland (Caroline County). These positions will be responsible for supervision and maintenance of grounds, facilities and equipment at the park including day use areas, campground, headquarters/shop complex, bathhouses, and multiple park buildings. The selected candidates are responsible for operating and maintaining power tools and heavy equipment, overseeing and performing routine grounds, facilities and equipment maintenance in the state park. These positions involve maintenance and construction projects for maintenance, repair and improvements to park grounds and facilities, including carpentry, electrical, masonry and plumbing.
The incumbents will also lead and supervise work of seasonal employees, and volunteers. The Park Technician Lead may write specifications for renovations and new projects, may participate in planning or renovations and provide oversight to contractors. While the maintenance of park buildings is the primary function of these positions, the selected candidates will also assist with day-to-day park operations, including opening and closing park facilities, assisting with park visitor needs, and helping with special events as required.
Education: Possession of a high school diploma or high school equivalence certificate.
Experience: Three years of experience in the skilled maintenance or construction trades, e.g. electrician, plumber or experience in the maintenance of a park, forest or wildlife facility.
1. Applicants may substitute education in the field of forestry, wildlife biology or park management at an accredited college or university at the rate of 30 semester credit hours for each year of the required experience for up to two years.
2. Applicants may substitute experience for the required High School education at the rate of one year experience for one year of education up to a maximum of four years.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in equipment, facilities, and services classification or equipment, facilities, and services specialty codes in the equipment, facilities, and services field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualifications; please include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
1. Experience multi-tasking and working independently.
2. Experience in small equipment repair and basic vehicle maintenance.
3. Experience working with volunteers to complete projects.
4. Experience handling facility breakdown.
5. Candidates should be able to use a computer to fill out forms and utilize electronic e-mail.
6. Candidates should be able to operate tractors and heavy machinery.
7. Candidates who have graduated from the Work2Live WELL program.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Some positions in this classification are assigned duties which will require the individual to be examined by a physician. After an offer of employment, applicants for such positions will be given a medical examination to certify the ability to perform the essential job functions.
2. Upon permanent appointment the employee may be required to reside in the county, region, or park to which they are assigned.
3. Candidates appointed to positions in this classification may be assigned duties which require a valid operator license for heavy equipment, such as bulldozers, back-hoes, payloaders or tractors.
4. Persons appointed to these positions may be required to have their current private residence telephone number listed in the agency’s telephone directory or on file with Forest, Park and Wildlife Communications Center in case of emergencies.
5. The employee may be required to attend training and be certified as a water plant operator.
6. Employees in this classification may be required to lift objects weighing up to 40 pounds or more.
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Your application is part of the examination process. The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of this position. The rating will be based on the information provided on your application. Therefore, it is important you provide all the experience and education that is related to this position completely and accurately. Verifiable volunteer experience will be considered; please include it on your application, if applicable.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application. Please do not submit unsolicited documentation (resumes, cover letters, etc.).
You will be required to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The online application is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to:
Department of Natural Resources
580 Taylor Avenue, C-3
Annapolis, MD 21401
The Human Resource Department is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
Specific inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Chuck Hecker at
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|