STATIONARY ENGINEER, STATE OFFICE COMPLEX
|Department||DGS Facilities Operations and Maintenance|
|Date Opened||11/20/2018 3:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/20/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$59,392.00 - $61,691.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Positions are located within the MD Department of General Services, Facilities Operations & Maintenance Division, with vacancies for facilities in Annapolis and Baltimore, Maryland.
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to provide heating and air conditioning for the State Office Complex.
This is an emergency essential classification subject to emergency release procedures. Employees in this classification must be willing and available for duty at such hours, day or night and are required to remain or report for duty at such hours as needed to maintain the continuous operation of this agency.
If you are the selected candidate you will be required to take a Pre-Employment Physical. This will assess your ability to safely perform the essential functions of the position.
Stationary Engineer, State Office Complex is the full performance level of technical and supervisory maintenance work in the Department of General Services as a chief operating engineer on a shift in a power plant with central station refrigeration or air conditioning equipment totaling 2500 tons or more and heating or process boilers totaling 500 HP and above.
Employees are assigned to day, evening, night or rotating shifts to include holidays and weekends, and are subject to call-in and overtime based on staffing and emergency needs. Work involves the lifting of heavy mechanical equipment and apparatus and may be performed in areas of extreme heat and cold.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Operates five-250HP Gas Fired Hot Water Heating Boilers, one -125HP and one - 50HP Gas Fired Steam Boiler, three - 850 ton Variable Speed Centrifugal Chillers, three - 550 ton Screw Ice Builder Chillers, one -14,000 ton per hour Ice Vault Storage Tank System, six - Induced Draft Cooling Towers, Refrigerant monitoring system, two - Frame and Plate Heat Exchangers, and three -1200kw Natural Gas-Fired continuous duty rated Engine Generators.
- Ensures the proper chemical treatment for equipment is at the required levels to prevent damage to equipment. The employee makes hourly safety inspections on the chillers and/or boilers, inspects and tests three emergency generators, and works rotating shifts and makes tours of the mechanical rooms.
- Operates the Energy Management System (computer) for all equipment pertaining to heating and air conditioning. Employee must make set point changes to equipment and know the reason for the changes.
- Cleans all filters and grease fans on all air handling units, and does preventive maintenance on chilled water pumps and circulating pumps.
- Troubleshoots problems with window units that provide heating and air conditioning throughout the complex. These units use pneumatic and electronic digital controls. Employee works around equipment that has asbestos in the area.
- Other functions that may be required that enables DGS to fulfill its overall mission to operate and maintain all State buildings for the Facilities Operation and Maintenance Division.
Education: Graduation from a standard high school or possession of a State high school equivalence certificate.
Experience: Three years of experience as a 1st Grade Stationary Engineer.
1. Applicants may substitute additional experience up to four years as licensed first-grade engineer on a year-for-year basis for the required high school education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Utilitiesman classifications or Maintenance Supervisor, Maintenance Mechanic, or Utilities Chief specialty codes in the Equipment Maintenance field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
Preference will be given to applicants with experience using an Energy Management System (EMS) and/or Building Automation System (BAS) which are used to control building systems, such as, heating and cooling equipment, fans, pumps, dampers, etc.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification must possess and maintain a current license as a Stationary Engineer, 1st Grade from the State Board of Stationary Engineers.
1. Some positions in this classification are assigned duties which will require the individual to be examined by a physician. After an offer of employment, applicants for such positions will be given a medical examination to certify the ability to perform the essential job functions.
2. This position is designated as a sensitive classification. Testing for illegal use of drugs is required and shall be conducted during the selection process. Employees in this classification are subject to random substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this position. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. We highly recommend that you submit your transcript when you apply for the position.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Applicants are encouraged to upload proof of education (transcripts), professional license and certifications, when applicable, during the recruitment process as these items will be required at the time of selection.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-767-4986 with questions about this recruitment.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dbm.maryland.gov – click on the State Jobs tab. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Room 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are also encouraged to apply.
Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity, as an equal opportunity employer.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|