CORRECTIONAL MAINTENANCE OFFICER I Maintenance Mechanic
|Department||DPSCS-Baltimore City Correctional Center|
|Date Opened||8/10/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$37,289.00 - $58,965.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Tiffany Arrington|
The resulting eligible list will be used to fill current and future Correctional Maintenance Officer vacancies in all trades within the Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services (DPSCS) facilities as they occur. Candidates interested in future vacancies at other facilities or locations should apply at this time. Applicants certified to this list will remain eligible for one year.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO INDICATE EACH MARYLAND COUNTY THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT EMPLOYMENT ON YOUR APPLICATION.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Several positions are located throughout the State of Maryland. Therefore, the resulting eligible list will be used to fill current and future vacancies.
When completing the application, please select all locations in which you are willing to work.
Main Purpose of Job
Assigns maintenance or repair tasks to designated inmates in the optioned trades such as electricity, plumbing, carpentry, metal work, plastering, painting, masonry, motor vehicle mechanics, stationary engineering and grounds supervision.
Learns how to maintain control and discipline among the inmate helpers by enforcing safety, sanitary, custody and security regulations.
Learns how to keep continual count of inmates assigned.
Learns how to perform searches of inmates for concealment of drugs, weapons, tools, equipment and other unauthorized items.
Learns how and when to prepare reports of infractions.
Learns how to subdue and restrain inmates during fights, riots and escape attempts.
Attends required Correctional Officer training courses.
Instructs inmates in the proper methods and techniques for using and caring for tools, machinery and equipment.
Trains inmates in the performance of their assigned tasks.
Inspects all work performed by assigned inmates for adherence to trade standards and applicable codes.
Operates manual, electrical or electronic tools and equipment.
Learns how to develop job contract cost estimates and the amount of man-hours, materials and supplies needed for repairs on specific projects.
Learns how to maintain records of materials and supplies used.
Learns how to develop and maintain equipment history cards and files.
Performs other related duties.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Maryland Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: Two years of experience of maintenance mechanic experience.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209, Annotated Code of Maryland.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience in correctional institutional specialty codes in the criminal justice field of work at a rate of two years of military experience for the required experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland prior to permanent appointment.
2. Some positions in this classification may require employees to acquire the appropriate Maryland driver’s license to operate motor vehicles for the transportation of inmates or supplies.
3. Employees who have not already done so must complete and successfully pass the Entrance Level Correctional Training Course required for the Maryland Correctional Training Commission certificate during the probationary period.
1. Selection standards for Correctional Officer certification are established by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209 of the Annotated Code. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations Title 12, Subtitle 10, Chapter 01 and include the following:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
Must be at least 21 years of age
A completed background investigation
2. Employees in this classification are subject to call-in 24 hours a day and, therefore, must provide the employing agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
The examination process will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application.
Please make sure that you provide complete and accurate information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after the above closing date.
To submit your qualifying documents; the preferred method is to upload them using the "other" tab on the online application. However, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
Online applications are STRONGLY recommended; if you do not have internet access, please mail your application by the closing date to:
Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination
Recruitment Number 18-004052-0001
300 E. Joppa Road
Towson, Maryland 21286
For more information, please call 410-339-3696.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|