INTERNAL AUDITOR I
|Department||DHS - Office of the Secretary|
|Date Opened||9/10/2018 4:10:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/24/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$38,880.00 - $50,120.00/year with potential growth to $61,691.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Betty Ketterman|
This is a Position Specific-Recruitment for the Department of Human Services, Office of the Inspector General - Internal Audits.
It is important to complete the Supplement Questions as part of the application process.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Human Services
Office of the Inspector General - Internal Audits
1525 North Calvert Street, 7th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
Main Purpose of Job
This position prevents, detects and eliminates fraud, waste, mismanagement and corruption within the Department of Human Services (DHS), Office of the Inspector General. The incumbent in this position serves as an Internal Auditor to assist in performing independent appraisals of auditable entities of DHS and follow-up on deficiencies noted in audit reports issued by Legislative and other external auditors and advising management of our conclusions and recommendations.
Determines the adequacy and effectiveness of internal accounting control systems, and/or determines the adequacy and effectiveness of corrective actions taken to address audit recommendations made in audit reports issued by Legislative and other external auditors; conducts interviews and reviews procedures manuals; determines compliance with Federal, State, Local and Departmental laws, rules and regulations, and/or determines if corrective actions were implemented to address deficiencies noted in audit reports issued by Legislative and other external auditors; performs reviews and tests in accordance with professional standards promulgated by the Institute of Internal Auditors, government auditing standards and generally accepted auditing standard issued by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountant; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Please read the job announcement in its entirety before applying for this recruitment. Applicants must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire.
Education: Possession of a bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university or a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with 30 credit hours in accounting and related courses, including or supplemented by 3 credit hours in auditing.
Experience: One year of experience conducting financial and operational internal audits that include elements for finance and compliance, economy and efficiency, and program results.
1. Applicants who have met the requirements for admission to the CPA examination prior to July 1, 1974 will be considered to have met the educational requirement referenced above.
2. Possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor or a master’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
3. Applicants may substitute one year of professional accounting experience for one year of auditing experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Internal Review classifications or Auditing specialty codes in the Financial or Auditing fields of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
1. One year of experience in determining adequacy and effectiveness in internal auditing systems.
2. One year of experience in interviewing and reviewing procedures manuals.
3. One year of experience communicating with internal and external customers.
4. One year of experience preparing clear and precise audit reports.
5. One year of experience working with TeamMate, an electronic audit management system.
6. One year of experience conducting internal control audits and reviews.
7. One year of experience using Microsoft Office Excel to create test schedules.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
It is imperative to list all computer and software experience on your application pertaining to your job duties.
Online applications are STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, please send your paper application and supplemental questionnaire (if applicable) to:
Department of Human Services
Examination Services Unit
Attention: Betty Ketterman
311 W. Saratoga Street, First Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Or, fax requested information to: 410-333-0882; Email firstname.lastname@example.org; Voice 410-767-7147, toll-free: 1-800-332-6347. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay, 1-800-925-4434;
The paper application must be received by 5 PM on the closing date for the recruitment. Do not submit unsolicited documentation. Resumes and copies of diplomas are not required for this examination process.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.