COMPUTER NETWORK SPECIALIST II
JUNIOR NETWORK ENGINEER
|Department||DHS - Technology for Human Svcs General Admin|
|Date Opened||9/5/2018 09:20:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/19/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$46,857.00 - $60,815/year with potential growth to $75,012.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Moses Devaprakasam|
This is a Position Specific-Recruitment for the Department of Human Services, Office of Technology for Human Services.
It is important to complete the Supplemental Questions as part of the application process.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Human Services
Office of Technology for Human Services
311 West Saratoga Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
This position provides technical expertise for the Office of Technology for Human Services (OTHS), Department of Human Services (DHS) enterprise network infrastructure to ensure 99.9% network availability statewide. The incumbent in this position performs network infrastructure configuration, implementation, maintenance, and troubleshooting activities across the enterprise; configures, deploys, and manages DHS network security systems such as: firewalls, Intrusion Detection System (IDS), and Virtual Private Network (VPN) systems; and ensures the continual provision of excellent customer service to promote and support the use of technology that enables productivity and the level of customer satisfaction. This position will also require working at various locations statewide and must obtain a State vehicle to travel to different sites.
This position ensures statewide network infrastructure (hardware and software) that is available and properly functioning so that workers are able to access Department of Human Services (DHS) systems; performs configuration, implementation, monitoring, problem resolution, and maintenance of Cisco equipment and software (i.e. routers, switches, IOS), Network Management Systems (NMS), diagnostic programs, and utilities to ensure 99.9% network availability; configures, implements, monitors, and maintains DHS infrastructure security systems which include firewalls, Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS's), Virtual Private Networks (VPN's), and security information and event management (SIEM) systems; interacts with other IT Support staff and/or third party vendors to troubleshoot and repair outages and service degradation, including performing research and gathering information; documents trouble reports using Remedy ticket system; provides accurate and timely updates in tickets; works with other departments within DHS, external agencies, vendors and contractors to determine network and infrastructure security requirements for new system implementations to ensure network performance is not impacted; researches, evaluates and tests new technologies for existing and proposed systems; prepares and assembles technical documentations and user documentations on various software and hardware platforms; responds to and resolves requests for new network and security infrastructure hardware installation, relocation, and upgrades; analyzes DHS facility readiness for site preparations as needed for installing hardware, software, and voice/data wiring according to the project's installation requirements; monitors and identifies capacity and performance issues for DHS's enterprise network infrastructure traffic to ensure continued, uninterrupted operation; responds to customer inquiries in a timely and courteous manner, while ensuring all customer communication is documented; builds and maintains positive relationships with internal and external customers; attends conferences, seminars and workshops to upgrade and obtain new technological advancements; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Please read the job announcement in its entirety before applying for this recruitment. Applicants must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire.
Education: Bachelor's degree in computer information technology, management information systems, or other information technology related field, to include course work in local or wide area computer networks, from an accredited college or university.
Experience: One year of experience planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide area computer networks.
1. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and eighteen months of experience converting data from project specifications by preparing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools; planning, installing and maintaining data communications network lines and devices; or evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and fifteen credit hours from an accredited college or university in systems analysis and applications programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools for the required education.
3. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or high school equivalency certificate and completion of a certification program in Network Administration, such as Certified Novell Administrator (CNA), Microsoft Certified Product Specialist NT 4.0 Administrator or equivalent certification program for the required education.
4. Candidates may substitute experience in one of the following areas on a year-for-year basis for a high school education: operating computer systems, scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining backups or data storage, processing data on computer systems, evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software or converting data from project specifications by developing programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Network Analyst classifications or Network Integration and Management specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
1. One year of experience configuring, installing and managing enterprise network and infrastructure security devices to include Firewalls, Virtual Private Network(VPN), and Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS).
2. One year of experience configuring, installing and managing routers and switches.
3. One year of experience configuring, installing and managing Wireless Systems.
4. One year of experience configuring, installing and managing Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Systems.
5. One year of experience communicating with internal and external customers.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. It is imperative to list all computer and software experience on your application pertaining to your job duties.
Online applications are STRONGLY preferred.
If you are unable to apply online, please send your paper application and supplemental questionnaire (if applicable) to:
Department of Human Services
Examination Services Unit
Attention: Moses Devaprakasam
311 W. Saratoga Street, First Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Or, fax requested information to: 410-333-0882; Email firstname.lastname@example.org ; Voice 410-767-7416, toll-free: 1-800-332-6347.
Do not submit unsolicited documentation. The paper application must be received by 5 PM on the closing date for the recruitment. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay, 1-800-925-4434.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.