Technical Support Specialist-Database Administrator
|Department||Worker's Compensation Commission|
|Date Opened||4/11/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/2/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$49,899.00 - $80,078.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Beth Richard|
Make a difference while pursuing a career to match your passion. At WCC, we are collaborative, innovative, and excited about our work. We thrive on initiative, creativity and challenges to the status quo by employees who are valued and empowered. Proud of our achievements, we consider excellence a continuous journey…not a destination end point. This is public service today. If you've got the right stuff: strong MS SQL 2012 or newer database administration skills, experience, and a passion for your work, come journey with us.
The Maryland Workers' Compensation Commission seeks to secure the equitable and timely administration of the provisions of the Maryland Workers' Compensation law on behalf of its customer, the injured workers and their employers, by providing an efficient forum for the resolution of individual claims.
The Workers' Compensation Commission envisions a state wherein injured workers and employers are empowered to create an equitable partnership to facilitate prompt and fair resolution of workers' compensation matters.
Together we profoundly touch the lives of so many people and have enormous responsibility to the community by fulfilling our mission of securing equitable and timely administration of the law. The Commission continues to provide services to our constituent partners at a level rarely met throughout the United States. The professionalism, work ethic, and technological acumen manifest in our operations allows us to smoothly and effectively manage the challenges which invariably arise. Every division within the agency plays a vital role in keeping us in the forefront nationally...
ARE YOU READY TO MAKE A MEANINGFUL DIFFERENCE IN YOUR COMMUNITY AND PURSUE YOUR CAREER PASSION WITH A NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED LEADER?
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The State of Maryland Workers' Compensation Commission is currently seeking a creative and energetic Technical Support Specialist Database Administrator (DBA). The DBA works as a member of the IT team to develop, test, implement, and upgrade Windows application servers and related database components for third party and in-house software development projects supporting internal and external customers.
The Tech Support Specialist DBA implements database solutions solving key business and compliance needs in an integrated and simple manner, building in extensibility and security, and balancing the need for flexibility and agility with conformance to best practices.in support of the Agency's mission and Enterprise Modernization
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong customer focus and the ability to deliver effective technology solutions that also delight customers. The ability to apply other current IT skills and experience in Windows server and PC support, IIS web server administration, PowerShell scripting, and VMware vSphere administration as well as the flexibility to adapt to a variety of database related assignments in addition to core SQL Server DBA responsibilities is highly desirable.
· Provide database support for WCC’s Enterprise Modernization Project
· Install, configure, and upgrade virtualized Microsoft Windows server operating systems and SQL server; define and implement optimal data designs and structures based on workload, and data security requirements
· Monitor and troubleshoot database and hosting servers’ performance; notify stakeholders and customers of issues affecting systems availability
· Develop, implement, and enhance data structures, stored procedures and other database-related components of web apps supporting WCC’s online services
· Develop, implement, and enhance data structures, stored procedures and other database-related components of Windows desktop and internal web based case management, document management, and routing workflow apps
· Work with WCC business units on business metrics and data analytics
· Develop and maintain reports using g Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools, Business Intelligence Studio, (BIDS) and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
· Develop and maintain extract,, transform, and load (ETL) and system integration packages using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
· Create documentation and training plans for WCC IT staff and end-users
· Provide second level technical support for complex SQL server database and related virtualized Windows server operating system, and PC client/web server application issues
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or other information technology related field to include course work in database management systems.
Experience: One year of experience designing, developing, implementing, maintaining and controlling database management systems for computers.
1. Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate plus thirty credit hours from an accredited college or university in Computer Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or other information technology-related field to include course work in database management systems may be substituted for the required education.
2. Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate and one additional year of experience designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining applications systems and programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or maintaining and modifying operating systems for computers may be substituted for the required education.
3. Experience operating computer systems; or scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining a tape library to process data on computer systems; or converting data from project specifications by developing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages may be substituted for high school education on a year-for-year basis.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Database Administration classifications or Database Administration specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
The following is a required qualification. Candidates MUST possess the following:
At least nine months' experience developing, testing, implementing, administering and providing technical support for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (or newer) on Windows Server 2012 R2 in an Active Directory domain environment
Completion of at least nine (9) credit hours of coursework from an accredited college or university using Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (or newer) technology in database administration, SQL Server Database design and development, structured query language (SQL), Windows server and Network administration, and/or advanced business data systems development.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
· Experience with SQL Server backup and restore options using native and third party tools such as Unitrends or Veeam
· Experience administering SQL Server on Windows server virtual machines (VMs) in a VMware or Hyper-V environment
· Experience using native (SQL Server Management Studio [SSMS]) or third-party tools, (Redgate, IDERA, or similar) to manage multiple SQL Server application servers and instances
· Experience creating data extract, transform and load (ETL) packages using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
· Experience writing and tuning t-sql queries and indexes, developing views, stored procedures, triggers or constraints
· Experience troubleshooting SQL Server and related Windows server, network and application issues
· Experience with data security categorization, data encryption techniques and best practices
· Experience creating and managing the SQL Server Agent and maintenance plans
· Highly effective oral and written communications skills including the ability to develop clearly written, understandable and complete project/user documentation in English.
· Working knowledge of enterprise content management (ECM), business process management and/or case management applications
· Working knowledge of using Powershell scripts to manage server applications and domain member PCs
· Working knowledge of data driven web application development for Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) web server
· Exposure to data modeling, data integration or related tasks using low-code/no-code process automation solutions such as Bizagi Studio, OutSystems, Appian, Pega or Mendix
Employee may occasionally be required to be on-call or asked to work outside of normal work hours for production emergencies or planned upgrades.
Employee may be occasionally required to drive to Agency regional site locations and must have a valid Driver's License.
The examination will consist of a rating of your training and experience as provided with your application. Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
If you have any questions about this recruitment, please contact the Workers' Compensation Commission at 410-864-5230.
TO APPLY: Please include your resume along with your completed online employment application. During the online application process, use the Resume tab to select a method for including your resume (Upload Your Resume or Type or Copy/Paste Your Resume). Submission of a resume is strongly recommended and completion of the Supplemental Questionnaire is required to submit a completed application.
If you are unable to apply online, or encounter difficulty attaching required or optional documentation, you may submit via mail or deliver in person. Please be sure to include your name, identification number (Easy ID#) and job announcement number on any documentation to ensure timely processing. Please include your completed supplemental questionnaire and resume along with your completed employment application.
PLEASE DO NOT FAX OR EMAIL UNSOLICITED DOCUMENTATION
A completed application, supplemental questionnaires, resume, and any addendums may be mailed to:
Workers' Compensation Commission
10 E. Baltimore Street, Personnel Division
Baltimore, MD 21202
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
WCC is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of WCC that all persons have equal opportunity and access to employment opportunities, services, and facilities without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.