|Date Opened||9/18/2018 1:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/20/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$44,017.00 - $56.999.00/ yr. with growth to $70,265/ yr.|
|HR Analyst||Shirley Williams|
Maryland 529 is an independent State Agency responsible for administering two IRC Section 529 College Savings Plans - the Maryland Prepaid College Trust and the Maryland College Investment Plan. The Maryland Prepaid College Trust (MPCT) is a "defined benefit" type plan and the Maryland College Plan (MCIP) is a "defined contribution" type plan, both of which are designed to provide ways for families to save for future college expenses and reduce reliance on future student loan debt. In addition, the agency administers the State's 529A program through the ABLE ACT designed for Americans living with disabilities.
RECRUITMENT REPOSTED - PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT REAPPLY.
LOCATION OF POSITION
217 E. Redwood Street, Ste. 1350
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Main Purpose of Job
This position is responsible for reconciliation of all financial activities on behalf of the agency. Specifically, this position reconciles the disbursement, depository and lockbox accounts held with the agency's banking services provider; reconciles the agency's recordkeeping system (Banner) activity against bank activity ensuring that overall transactions posted to account holder accounts ties to amounts recorded at the bank; reconciles monthly investment activity for the various accounts held by the agency's custodial bank; and manages the daily cash flow worksheet notifying MD 529 management of the daily cash balances per bank and books based on prior day activities. In addition, the position is responsible for reviewing monthly bank analysis fees against the contract prices so that we can properly approve invoices for payment, and is responsible for tracking outstanding checks and cancelling and stopping checks over 90 days.
This position will additionally provide assistance with general accounting responsibilities such as monthly expenditure reconciliations and prior year accrual reconciliations; fiscal year close-outs, monthly adjusting journal entries and serve as back up for invoice processing.
This position will further provide assistance as needed with procurement and inventory and supply control responsibilities such as monitoring contract terms to ensure that all contracts are current.
Key duties of the position:
- Reconciliation of financial activities - Daily and monthly depository and disbursement accounts to record keeping system;
- reconciliation of Investment accounts and various other accounts - daily, monthly and as needed;
- processing vendor and interagency invoices;
- preparing monthly expenditure reconciliations;
- uploading monthly expenditure activity into projection worksheets;
- journal entries;
- and assist with the creation of financial statements.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing.
Experience: Three years of experience examining, analyzing and interpreting accounting systems, records and reports by applying generally accepted accounting principles.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with thirty credit hours in Accounting and related courses, including or supplemented by three credit hours in auditing for the required education.
2. Applicants who have met the requirements for admission to the CPA examination prior to July 1, 1974 will be considered to have met the educational requirement referenced above.
3. Possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a master's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
4. Applicants may substitute one year of professional auditing experience for one year of the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the Accounting Officer classification or Financial Management specialty codes in the Accounting field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
- Strong experience with Bank Reconciliations and General Ledger Account Reconciliations.
- Experience using FMIS or similar financial system
- Experience with creating journal entries
- Experience processing invoices and payroll
- Experience in creating financial statements
- Experience in Budget creation and tracking
Make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Resumes may not be submitted in lieu of completing the employment application.
For education obtained outside the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service. this evaluation must be submitted with your application.
Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred; however, you may submit a paper application, supplemental questionnaire, and supportive documentation to:
Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division
301 West Preston Street, Room 608, Baltimore, MD 21201
The paper application must be received by the closing date. If you have any questions concerning the recruitment process for this position, please call 410-767-4910.
Applicants may upload a transcript by scanning multiple pages into one uniform document. The system will not allow you to upload multiple transcript pages separately. If you do not have access to a transcript you should list the applicable courses and credits on the application in the section titled "Specialized Training or Classes Relevant to the job".
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.