CAPITAL MAINTENANCE PROJECT ENGINEER I
|Department||DGS Facilities Planning Design & Construction|
|Date Opened||9/18/2018 1:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/17/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$46,857 - $75,012/year (based on qualifications and salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Christina Buchanan|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is with the Maryland Department of General Services, Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction Division, located at 301 West Preston Street, Baltimore MD 21201.
Main Purpose of Job
This position coordinates facilities engineering work in a Statewide maintenance and repair program involving the inspection, design, and repair of systems and utilities related to the maintenance of buildings and grounds. The position identifies, prioritizes, and monitors the maintenance and repair of State-owned facilities according to State policies and standards. The incumbent will utilize funds to prevent the deterioration of State facilities and avert potentially life threatening conditions.
Duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates construction projects with State agencies and the Department of General Services (DGS) Construction Division to ensure completion is in accordance with specifications.
- Reviews and approves changes to scope of work, proposed change orders, and additional funding in accordance with DGS procedures.
- Assists with developing and managing approved and assigned emergency projects.
- Prepares agenda items for approval of contracts in accordance with Maryland procurement regulations.
- Prepares bidding documents incorporating the architecture and engineering (A/E) construction design into the DGS procurement package.
- Coordinates the advertising date, the pre-bid date, and the bid date between the DGS Procurement Office and the using agency, and submits the package for procurement.
- Evaluates the program letter and project justification submitted by the facility to determine if any professional A/E service is required.
- Negotiates the A/E fees and obtains procurement approval.
- Manages the A/E design contract and obtains a design that matches the project justification and meets the standard for the construction industry.
- Evaluates and requests changes to A/E submittals, and reviews and approves estimates prepared by A/E.
- Self-designs work when possible.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited college or university.
Experience: One year of experience as an Engineer in the building construction, renovation or maintenance fields.
1. Candidates may substitute additional engineering experience performing maintenance or construction engineering work in facility and maintenance system work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Civil Engineer Corps classifications or Construction Engineering Technician, or Civil or Combat Engineering specialty codes in the Engineering field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Professional procurement and contract management experience is strongly preferred.
2. Experience utilizing the eMaryland Marketplace system is strongly preferred.
3. Professional experience working with State of Maryland government agencies is preferred.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
This recruitment is limited to individuals who are willing to accept employment in Baltimore City, Maryland.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Employees may be required to carry an electronic paging device or provide the employing agency with a telephone number where the employee can be reached.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this position. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. We highly recommend that you submit your transcript when you apply for the position.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Applicants are encouraged to upload proof of education (transcripts), professional license and certifications, when applicable, during the recruitment process as these items will be required at the time of selection.
Contact email@example.com or call 410-767-1386 with questions about this recruitment.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dbm.maryland.gov – click on the State Jobs tab. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Room 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are also encouraged to apply.
Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity, as an equal opportunity employer.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay