HR OFFICER II
|Department||DHS - Somerset County DSS|
|Date Opened||5/11/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/25/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$44,017/year - $56,999/year with potential growth up to $70,265.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Scott Waddel|
This recruitment is a Position-Specific Recruitment for an HR Officer II vacancy in the Somerset County Department of Social Services.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Maryland Department of Human Resources
Somerset County Department of Social Services
30397 Mt. Vernon Road
Princess Anne MD 21853
Main Purpose of Job
This position is a lead level professional for lower level personnel paraprofessional(s) and directly responsible for the interpretation and application of HR laws, regulations, policies and guidelines to address a variety of administrative functions involving analysis, problem-solving, evaluation, and consultation. This employee is also expected to respond in an emergency if the county is required to open a shelter.
Recruitment and Employment Services: Agency point of contact to consult closely with Human Resource Development and Training (HRDT) on the need for recruitment and hiring for vacant positions. Advertises vacancies, processes eligible lists, sends letters, schedules interviews, completes reference checks and processes all appointment paperwork. Coordinates new hire orientations and schedule employees for training as appropriate. Maintains confidentiality of personnel files for all Somerset Co. DSS State merit and Contingent employees. At all times, the incumbent will provide customer service to both internal and external customers that meets or exceeds the standards set by the Department.
Supervision, Staffing, and Counseling: Provides supervision and training to lower level personnel paraprofessionals. Provides advice and guidance to employees, management staff, and other public officials regarding HR related matters. Assesses agency training needs and provides training in HR related or other employee development areas.
Classification and Compensation: Counsels employees on classification and salary matters. Evaluates position descriptions to determine need for reclassification of filled or vacant positions and non-competitive promotions. Applies salary guidelines pertaining to various class or salary actions.
Employee Relations: Provides advice for disciplinary actions and recommends appropriate resolution regarding standards of conduct and the performance evaluation process. Delegated as Appointing Authority to act on the behalf of the Appointing Authority in the imposition of disciplinary actions under Title 11 of the SPP Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland
Employee Benefits and Timekeeping: Reviews and/or approves timesheets in SPS/Workday as required by the system navigation. Assesses need for FMLA documentation. Provides Finance information for the exception time report. Provides state stats and annual reports of leave used and unused. Manages first report of injury reporting and Workman's Compensation reporting. Maintains health benefits information for all employees.
Please read the job announcement in its entirety before applying for this recruitment. Applicants must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire.
EDUCATION: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
EXPERIENCE: Two and one half years of professional HR experience involving recruitment and employment services, classification and compensation, employee relations, test development and validation job analysis, job evaluation, salary administration, HR program evaluation, or HR policy formulation.
1. Professional HR management work in the areas of recruitment and selection, classification, salary administration, employee relations, test development and validation or as a generalist may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education.
2. Paraprofessional personnel work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education. Paraprofessional personnel work is defined as work involving the application of public sector personnel procedures, policies, rules and regulations to specific employment actions. Appropriate paraprofessional personnel experience includes responsibility for activities such as: preparing and maintaining employment records, calculating salaries, applying personnel-related rules and policies, preparing personnel-related reports, conducting employee orientation and counseling employees regarding benefits and obligations and responding to inquiries concerning employment procedures.
3. Thirty graduate credit hours from an accredited college or university in the fields of HR/personnel administration, human resources management, business administration, public administration, statistics, tests and measurements, psychology or a related field may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in human resources management classifications or human resources management specialty codes in the human resources management field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
The ideal candidate will possess:
Experience supervising HR personnel
Experience working with an HRIS system such as Workday or PeopleSoft
Experience with the full-cycle recruitment process
Experience counseling employees and investigating issues related to classification and salary matters
Experience facilitating new employee orientations and trainings
Experience counseling employees and providing information related to health benefits and retirement planning
Experience interpreting and applying the State Personnel Management Systems laws, rules, regulations and standards
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
Limited to candidates willing to work in in Princess Anne in Somerset County, MD.
Princess Anne is located on Maryland's Eastern Shore, approximately 135 miles away from the Baltimore-Washington area.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification are required to obtain certification in State Personnel Management System policies and procedures and in the functionality of the Statewide Personnel System from the Office of Personnel Services and Benefits, Department of Budget and Management within six months from the time of appointment to the position. Employees are also required to obtain recertification every six months thereafter.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date.
Successful candidates will be ranked as Best-Qualified, Better-Qualified or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for one year.
The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service is required prior to hire.
All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Online applications are STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, please send your paper application and supplemental questionnaire (if applicable) to:
Department of Human Services
Examination Services Unit
Attention: Scott Waddel
311 W. Saratoga Street, First Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Or, fax requested information to: 410-333-0882; Email firstname.lastname@example.org .
For questions concerning this position, please call 410-767-7255, toll-free: 1-800-332-6347.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay, 1-800-925-4434.
Do not submit unsolicited documentation. Resumes and copies of diplomas are not required for this examination process.
The paper application must be received by 5 PM on the closing date for the recruitment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|