HR ADMINISTRATOR I
Assistant Manager for Recruitment Processing
|Department||Department of Public Safety and Correctional Svcs|
|Date Opened||7/2/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/16/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$49,899.00 - $80,078.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Mark Townend|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Human Resources Services Division
300 East Joppa Road
Towson, Maryland 21286
Main Purpose of Job
The HR Administrator I/Assistant Manager for Recruitment Processing; manages and coordinates activities of the Recruitment, Examination and Retention Unit (RERU). The HR Administrator I provides and supervises professional and superior customer service with internal and external clients/customers. The incumbent manages the full performance recruitment processes for all hiring authorities of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DPSCS). This position is directly responsible for managing the daily activities performed by professional HR Officer II's with assigning recruitment projects to fill vacant positions, monitoring the steps in the recruitment process (which includes; determining the best method to fill the vacant position, reviewing applications, conducting interviews, making selections and managing salary determinations). Delegates, reviews and approves assignments, conducts staff meetings and training sessions, meets with appointing authorities to provide position specific status and statistical reports to the HR Administrator III for recruitment difficulties and other recruitment related activities.
Interprets and applies HR related laws, regulations, policies and procedures relevant to the State Personnel Management System (SPMS).
Monitors the workload of subordinates and ensures timely process of recruitments.
Ensures proper training is provided to all subordinates to include continued system updates.
Oversees recruitment and employment services to include: the review of applications and resumes for appropriate classification and ranking of candidates, the development of scoring matrices for interview panel scoring of candidates, training for hiring managers concerning recruiting and interviewing policies and procedures, preparation of position announcements and bulletins for circulation.
Provides Superior Customer Service with internal and external clients/customers.
Resolves problems, complaints, complications, or special requests arising from client/customer dissatisfaction.
Manages recruitments with the proper standards, methods, policies and procedure in accordance with State Personnel Management System (SPMS).
Establishes or modify HR related programs, goals and objectives and evaluates accomplishments.
Assess agency training needs and provide training in HR related or other employee development areas.
Maintains confidentiality for all HR related activities.
Explains and defends HR related actions and recommendations to supervisory and managerial staff, agency executives and by testifying in official proceedings such as administrative conferences and hearings, legislative hearings and in a court of law.
Analyzes and evaluates the appropriateness of HR actions based on guidelines, procedures and precedents and recommends approaches or solutions to HR related problems.
Researches HR, administrative, legal and financial data for use in the HR decision-making process.
Approves the selection and hiring process to ensure the successful completion of the following requirements; extensive background investigations, psychological examinations, physical examination, drug testing and polygraph examinations. Ensures institutional support staff for mandated classifications receive all necessary examinations as pre-employment qualifiers.
Performs other related duties
Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Four years of professional HR experience involving recruitment and employment services, classification and compensation, employee relations, test development and validation, job analysis, job evaluation, salary administration, HR program evaluation, or HR policy formulation.
Notes: 1. Professional HR management work in the areas of recruitment and selection, classification, salary administration, employee relations, test development and validation or as a generalist may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education.
2. Paraprofessional personnel work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education. Paraprofessional personnel work is defined as work involving the application of public sector personnel procedures, policies, rules and regulations to specific employment actions. Appropriate paraprofessional personnel experience includes responsibility for activities such as: preparing and maintaining employment records, calculating salaries, applying personnel-related rules and policies, preparing personnel-related reports, conducting employee orientation and counseling employees regarding benefits and obligations and responding to inquiries concerning employment procedures.
3. Thirty graduate credit hours from an accredited college or university in the fields of HR/personnel administration, business administration, public administration, statistics, tests and measurements, psychology or a related field may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in human resources management classifications or human resources management specialty codes in the human resources management field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
The following qualifications are preferred, not required:
6 months of experience with web-based recruitment software (i.e. NeoGov; JobAps, etc.) using the full range of functionality for recruitment and hiring.
6 months of experience using HR hiring software (i.e. Workday, PeopleSoft) to complete the full range of hire processes/transactions (i.e. new hire, promotion, demotion, and transfer).
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification are required to obtain certification in State Personnel Management System policies and procedures and in the functionality of the Statewide Personnel System from the Office of Personnel Services and Benefits, Department of Budget and Management within six months from the time of appointment to the position. Employees are also required to obtain recertification every six months thereafter.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after the above closing date.
Online applications are STRONGLY recommended; if you do not have internet access, please mail your application by the closing date to:
Department of Budget & Management
Recruitment & Examination Division
301 W. Preston St, Suite 608
Baltimore, MD 21201
For more information, please call 410-767-4923.
We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay