MSD REGISTERED NURSE
|Department||MD School for Deaf - Columbia - Educational Svc.|
|Date Opened||9/28/2018 10:15:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/12/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$40,520.00 - $64,682.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Emily Hicks|
Maryland School for the Deaf (MSD) is a diverse, bilingual community that, in partnership with families, provides an equitable and exemplary education in a nurturing, engaging, and challenging environment to ensure our students achieve personal excellence and become lifelong learners.
The MSD nurse is responsible for providing health care for the students and to act as health care liaison between the parents and the school.
This is an 11 month, school year position. Nurses do not work when school is closed during winter break and during the summer months. The salary range reflects the 11 month work schedule.
LOCATION OF POSITION
MSD, Columbia Campus, 8169 Old Montgomery Road, Ellicott City, MD 21043
Main Purpose of Job
The MSD nurse is responsible for providing health care for the students and to act as health care liaison between the parents and the school. This is a 2nd shift position. The nurse will be in regular contact with the dorm staff, as well as students and parents.
Administer medications (via oral, topical, inhalation, and injection) as prescribed for medical conditions or injuries. Assess, evaluate, and monitor students’ current medical and emotional health status and identify nursing needs of students. Maintain accurate and adequate records of nursing care and observations and treatment according to established procedures. Maintain student health center facility. Provide auxiliary duties as needed.
Education: Determined by the Maryland State Board of Nursing under the licensing requirements for Registered Nurses.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Fluency in American Sign Language.
2. Experience working with young children either in a school or hospital setting.
3. 1-2 years experience of school or community nursing.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates for positions in this classification must possess a current license as a Registered Nurse from the Maryland State Board of Nursing, 4140 Patterson Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 21215.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of an automobile. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
3. Employees in this classification may be required to successfully complete cardiopulmonary resuscitation training and maintain current certification.
1. Employees in this classification are subject to call-in and, therefore, will be required to provide the facility with a phone number at which they can be reached.
2. Employees in the classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with the Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
3. Candidates must be willing to learn American Sign Language and become conversational within two years.
4. New hires are subject to a criminal background investigation at their own expense (Maryland Code, Family Law Article 1, Sections 5-560 – 5-568)
5. Candidates will need to provide three letters of recommendation.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Please read the job announcement in its entirety before applying for this recruitment. Applicants must meet all minimum qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire. The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. The supplemental questions will be used as part of the rating process.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit via mail, e-mail, fax, or deliver in person before the closing date and time. Please include your name and recruitment number on any documentation to ensure timely processing. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application. Additional or supplemental information must be submitted by the closing date and time. Application inquiries or supplemental information can be directed to the following:
Mailing Address: Maryland School for the Deaf, Recruitment Department, P. O. Box 894, Columbia, MD 21044
Phone: 410-696-3031, TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Individuals from traditionally underserved and underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.