COMMISSIONER OF CORRECTION
|Department||DPSCS Division of Correction Headquarters|
|Date Opened||12/4/2018 10:15:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/25/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$99,275.00 - $132,569.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Kimberly Hare|
This position is designated as a Executive Services appointment. The incumbent will work at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
The Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services is one of the largest departments in Maryland government with over 11,000 employees. In our commitment to ensure safety to all Marylanders, we are seeking an exceptional leader for the position responsible for the overall operations and administration of the Division of Correction.
LOCATION OF POSITION
6776 Reisterstown Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21215
Main Purpose of Job
Plan, organize, monitor, evaluate, and coordinate the operations of the State of Maryland Correctional Institutions.
· Develops long range plans, goals and recommends changes to established policies.
· Builds organizational effectiveness to best accomplish the Departmental mission, requirements of policy, legal requirements and the requirement of significant stakeholders.
· Coordinates and monitors implementation of the long range plans, provides guidance and assistance to the Wardens in reaching established goals and objectives.
· Implements Departmental policies through Directors within the State.
· Develops programs to improve the effectiveness of the Department and overall operation of the organization.
· Establish policy and procedure in areas specific to the operation of Institutions in the State and ensure compliance through audits and onsite inspections.
· Assist in compliance with general Departmental policies and procedures for Corrections.
· Monitor operational compliance through a variety of audits, inspections and onsite visits.
· Reviews operations by monitoring a variety of regular reports.
· Reviews a variety of audit reports to monitor operational effectiveness and compliance with policy, laws, etc. Corrective actions to meet requirements as necessary.
Management oversight of emergency situations in the State
· Serves as Duty Officer.
· One of the first points of contact for an emergency situation.
· Establish a State Command Center to manage emergencies.
· Reviews emergency management plans and recommends changes to plans as necessary.
· Reviews training needs and training emergency management exercises.
· Establish and maintain effective communications with inter and intra-governmental agencies within and external to the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services
· Communicates Departmental mission and requirements clearly and concisely.
· Clearly communicates expectations.
· Conducts meetings that achieve results.
Maintains lines of communication within the State in order to efficiently and effectively manage operations.
· Communicate orally and in writing to management, staff, public and inmates and inmates’ families.
· Maintain good working relationships with the community, the legislature, local, state and federal agencies and the courts in the various counties in the State.
· Writes reports, memoranda, correspondences and directives.
· Maintain direct contact with institutions and offices within the State through frequent, regularly scheduled visits, meetings and phone and email communications.
Education: A bachelor's degree in corrections, criminal justice, guidance, social work, or similar related field of study.
Experience: Fifteen years of full-time experience in corrections including at least three (3) years performing correctional management duties as a Warden.
1. Candidates may substitute additional years of experience performing correctional management duties as a Warden for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
2. Candidates may substitute 30 credit hours of higher education or graduate level education in corrections or criminal justice for one year of the required (3) years of experience performing correctional management duties as a Warden.
All persons who meet the minimum qualifications will be approved on the certification list and will be placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year. Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after the above closing date.
To submit your qualifying documents; the preferred method is to upload them using the "other" tab on the online application. However, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
Online applications are STRONGLY recommended; if you do not have internet access, please mail your application by the closing date to:
Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services
Human Resources Services Division - Recruitment & Examination
Recruitment # - 18-007598-0001
300 E. Joppa Road, Suite 1000
Towson, Maryland 21286
For more information, please call 410-339-4210
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.