ASSISTANT MEDICAL EXAMINER - NON BOARD CERTIFIED
|Department||MDH Ofc of Chief Med Examiner|
|Date Opened||6/4/2018 10:58:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/6/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$176,686.00 - $198,249.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Janet Esser|
Established in 1939 as the nation’s first statewide medical examiner system, the acclaimed OCME of Maryland is a supportive, drama-free agency with a strong institutional culture and a commitment to excellence. The OCME is NAME accredited and has been continuously striving to maintain that standard for 30 years. The OCME’s forensic pathology team includes the Chief Medical Examiner, two Deputy Chief Medical Examiners, and 16.5 Assistant Medical Examiners. The agency has four ACGME accredited fellowship positions.
LOCATION OF POSITION
MDH, Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Baltimore, MD
Main Purpose of Job
The Maryland Department of Health, Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, is seeking Assistant Medical Examiners to join a committed professional team of forensic pathologists, investigating deaths and performing autopsies as necessary. The primary purpose of this position is to provide certified medical and specialized pathology skills in the performance of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner's (OCME) mandated cause and manner of death investigation.
Job duties of this position include:
- Evaluates death scene information;
- Perform autopsies and prepares reports of postmortem examination and autopsies;
- Review medical records, police reports and the reports of the toxicologist as required to accurately determine the cause and manner of death;
- Answer inquiries from relatives and other interested parties, as to the cause and manner of death;
- Supervise the work of the assigned autopsy technicians;
- Attends and participates in daily departmental meetings;
- Collect evidence for law enforcement agencies during autopsy;
- Teach Fellows, visiting residents and medical students; and,
- Testifies in court and attends meetings (e.g. Child Fatality Review)
When on call, incumbent must be available to consult with the Medical Examiner's Investigators, make decisions concerning release of organs and tissues for transplantation purposes on Medical Examiner's cases.
Qualified candidate must possess:
Graduation from an accredited School of Medicine with a Doctor of Medicine Degree (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) or the international equivalent;
Successful completion of an ACGME approved Forensic Fellowship program;
Eligibility for medical licensure in the State of Maryland (Maryland licensure must be obtained prior to hire);
Ability to obtain Board Certification in Forensic Pathology and Anatomic Pathology within 3 years of hire; and,
Availability to be on 24-hour call two-three (2-3) times per month and to work one weekend per month.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Desired candidates should possess:
- Familiarity with specialized autopsy techniques;
- Skill in the use of a microscope and interpretation of histology findings, the use of transcription devices, autopsy equipment and photographic equipment;
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to complete case reports in a timely fashion;
- Excellent communication skills for both written and verbal communication with criminal prosecutors, defense attorneys, law-enforcement personnel, representatives from insurance companies, and next-of-kin, and must have a pronounced ability to maintain professional neutrality to all parties in a dispute or litigation;
- Ability to follow standardized techniques and procedures and be able to adapt and make independent decisions; and,
- Ability to function in fast paced environments.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Applicants must be licensed by the Maryland Board of Physicians to practice medicine under Maryland State Law at time of hire. A copy of the current license must be attached to the application.
This is a Special Appointment position, and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority. A resume must accompany your application.
Applicants who meet the minimum (and selective) qualifications will be included in further evaluation. The evaluation may be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. Clearly indicate your college degree and major on your application, if applicable. For education obtained outside the U.S., any job offer will be contingent on the candidate providing an evaluation for equivalency by a foreign credential evaluation service prior to starting employment (and may be requested prior to interview). Complete applications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be added. Candidates may remain on the certified eligible list for a period of at least one year.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application may be submitted to MDH, Recruitment and Selection Division, 201 W. Preston St., Room 114-B, Baltimore, MD 21201. The paper application must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
Incorrect application forms will not be accepted.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If unable to upload, please fax requested information only to 410-333-5689. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the MDH Recruitment and Selection Division at 410-767-1251.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|