Skip to Main Content

Powered by JobAps



Recruitment #19-000517-0001




There are 5 vacancies for this recruitment: Calvert, Frederick, Garrett, Queen Anne's and Wicomico Counties.

Please indicate on your application each county that you are willing to accept employment.

Main Purpose of Job

This is conservation planning work, which involves a working knowledge of soil and water conservation principles, practices and methods related to the planning and installation of soil and water conservation projects and systems. Work is done in conjunction with the agricultural land owner or operator. This position assists the district in the preparation and implementation of soil conservation and water quality plans.


Develop or revise a conservation plan for the cooperator/landowner.

Prepare and deliver plans that are consistent with District and MDA priorities to meet the goals and requirements of both partners through established progress reporting systems.

Determine Best Management Practice (BMP) eligibility for Maryland Agricultural Cost Share (MACS) funding and/or co-cost sharing the for abatement of non-point source (NPS) pollution by agricultural sources including coordination of cost share flat rates, required certifications, inspections, and periodic monitoring throughout the useful maintenance life of the proposed project BMP.

Inventory and evaluate, for cooperators/landowners, practices to reduce soil erosion and to improve water quality by performing site evaluations, gathering field information and resource date to identify needs and resource priorities.

Promote conservation programs, including planning through outreach to nonparticipating landowners (cooperators) to further improve water quality and reduce erosion through field contacts, office referrals and community outreach programs.


Education:   A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in natural resources, agriculture or a related field.

Experience: One year of experience in planning, engineering or program administration work related to soil conservation or water quality.


1. A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in urban or regional planning, engineering, physical geography, or the physical, chemical, and biological sciences, including 3 credit hours in soils, and one year of experience in soil and water conservation work may be substituted for the required education.

2. A Master's degree from an accredited college or university in natural resources, agriculture or a related field may be substituted for the required education and one year of the required experience.

3. An Associate of Arts degree from an accredited college or university in natural resources, agriculture or a related field and one year of experience in soil and water conservation work may be substituted for the required education.

4. Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate and two additional years of experience in soil and water conservation may be substituted for the required education.

5. Candidates may substitute planning, engineering or program administration experience in a soil conservation, water quality protection or related agricultural or natural resource program on a year-for-year basis for the required education.

6. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in natural resources  management and biological science classification or natural resources management and biological science specialty codes in the soil conservation field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.   


Experience developing or revising conservation plans for farming operations.

Experience using GIS software.

Experience providing customer service to the agricultural community.


1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.

2. Employees in certain positions in this classification may be required to become Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Certified Conservation Planners (USDA/NRCS-General Manual, Title 180, Part 409).


Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.



Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.

Online applications are STRONGLY preferred, however paper applications will be accepted from candidates who may not have internet access.  All paper applications must be received by 4:30 PM on the closing date, no exceptions.  (Postmarks not accepted.)  

If you are submitting additional information, such as transcripts, the preferred method is to upload them online with your application.  If you are unable to upload, you may mail, hand-deliver or fax (HR Fax # 443-602-9831).  Mailing Address: Maryland Department of Agriculture, Human Resource Office, Room 304, 50 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD  21401.


For questions concerning this recruitment, please contact: Hazel Day at 410-841-5840 or

TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay

As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.

Click on a link below to apply for this position:

Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet. Apply Online
View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire. This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.
Apply via Paper Application. You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.