FIRE SAFETY INSPECTOR I
|Department||MSP Fire Prevention Commission and Fire Marshal|
|Date Opened||8/9/2019 11:55:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/23/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Pamela Harvey|
THIS IS A RECRUITMENT FOR THE FIRE SAFETY INSPECTOR I - CONTRACTUAL CLASSIFICATION IN ALLEGANY, GARRETT AND WASHINGTON COUNTIES. PLEASE CHECK ALL COUNTIES IN WHICH YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK.
This recruitment will also be used for statewide vacancies as they occur.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Office of the State Fire Marshal - Western Regional Office
18345 Colonel Henry K. Douglas Drive, Suite 240
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Main Purpose of Job
Conducts on site fire safety inspections/surveys of new and existing homes used for family day care, foster care, project care, or adoption and new and existing structures used for child care centers. Ensure follow- up inspections are conducted to ensure noted violations are corrected.
Determines operation readiness of new and existing fixed fire suppression systems, existing fire detection and alarm systems, and existing portable fire extinguishers in home and structures subject to on-site fire safety inspections/surveys.
Investigate fire code complaints. Records the information and follows through until the complaint is resolved.
Verifies code compliance for storage, handling and use of hazardous materials, flammable and combustible liquids and gases to prevent fire hazards.
Attends training seminars to maintain up-to-date knowledge of fire codes and regulations, fire protection systems technologies, and agency policies and procedures.
Conducts training seminars and lectures to care providers and clients to provide information on fire prevention and life safety activities, smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector technology, use of fire extinguishers, and other miscellaneous topics relevant to their needs.
Distributes fire prevention material alerts, news releases regarding fire prevention or consumer product safety recalls, or information regarding changes in laws and regulations that may affect the home or facility operations.
Testifies at legal proceedings and Fire Prevention Commission meetings regarding disputes over inspections and fire code violations.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
1. Experience inspecting buildings and other places of public assembly for compliance with fire prevention and safety laws, codes and regulations may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Firefighter classifications or Firefighter specialty codes in the fire inspection field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Experience performing fire safety inspections in buildings with multiple uses.
2. Fire Safety Inspector certification.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees are assigned duties in a given service area of the State.
2. Candidates for positions in this classification will be subject to an initial drug screening, a physical examination and a complete criminal background investigation before permanent appointment can be made. A criminal conviction record may be grounds for rejection of the candidate.
3. Employees in this classification must successfully meet the standards established by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 1031) for Fire Safety Inspector I prior to completion of the probationary period.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be considered. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
If you are unable to apply online, you may submit an application via mail. The Maryland State Application Form can be found online.
Completed application, required documentation and any required addendums may be mailed to:
Office of the State Fire Marshal
1201 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
ATTN: Pamela Harvey
Questions or concerns regarding this recruitment may be sent to the following e-mail address:
It is the policy of the Office of the State Fire Marshal to comply with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting employment discrimination and to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|