DGS PROCUREMENT OFFICER I
|Department||DGS Procurement & Logistics Division|
|Date Opened||1/29/2019 3:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/12/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$44,898 - $71,671/year (based on qualifications and salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Mojisola Ogungbe|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is located in the Office of Procurement & Logistics with the MD Department of General Services, at 301 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
This recruitment will be used to fill two vacancies in the Office of Procurement and Logistics. One vacancy exists in the Goods and Services Unit and the other in the Construction/A&E Unit.
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to independently plan, develop and conduct procurement activities consistent with policy and procedures of the department, regulations and procurement law. Provides administrative support and procurement guidance of service contracts to State agencies as required to facilitate the solicitation and award of State contracts. Assists in the overall procurement operations within the unit. This position receives general supervision from a DGS Procurement Officer Supervisor or other designated administrator.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
· Provides interpretation, direction, guidance and general information to prospective bidders, agency officials and other government officials as it may relate to procurement.
· Provides oral and written response to inquiries from prospective bidders. Prepares and issues amendments to the pre-bid conference as necessary for specific procurements.
· Reviews and analyzes contract requirements and determines the most appropriate procurement method to use, such as Competitive Sealed Bid, Competitive Sealed Proposals, Sole Source or Emergency.
· Examines bids to determine the validity of any request for additional information and to recommend resolutions to bid protests and disputes.
· Negotiates the most favorable prices, terms and conditions for non-competitive procurements and resolves issues with contractors regarding price, performance and terms.
· Researches materials and provides testimony regarding procurements under Department of General Services’ authority.
· Confers with the Office of the Attorney General regarding bid irregularities and writes appropriate Procurement Officer Determinations.
· Reviews requests for solicitation for award to assure all necessary documentation, approvals, funding, etc. is provided and is accurate and appropriate.
· Resolves post award contract administrative problems that may arise between the contractor and agency during the course of the contract. Mediates resolutions or takes action to default contractor.
· Provides assistance and support to the Office of Procurement and Logistics by receiving and directing calls by phone and in person for State agencies, executive officials and vendors.
· Prepares solicitation documents which describe the State's requirements in order to maximize competition. Satisfies all internal reviews and approvals, including legal where appropriate.
· Evaluates bids for responsiveness to the solicitation requirements. Coordinates with the technical, legal, pricing and quality assurance members of proposal evaluation committees to determine technical merits of proposals. Classify bids/proposals responsive or reasonably susceptible for award or not.
· Develops and issues Procurement Officer's decisions on protests filed by unsuccessful bidders and other interested parties.
· Coordinates, negotiates and issues contract modifications regarding, but not limited to, administrative changes, or agency changes and must be recommended for approval to the Board of Public Works and/or review and approved by Department Procurement Review Board.
· As necessary and appropriate, the Procurement Officer monitors contract performance to assure quality and timely performance in accord with contract documents.
· Researches, tracks and compiles data to determine accuracy of information within ADPICS, for proper Vendor Table Maintenance. Utilizes listing to enter bids received for solicitations. This database must be kept current for timely process to awards.
· Schedule debriefing meetings with the unsuccessful offers and the representatives of private industries. Return all unsuccessful offers technical and financial proposal with letters within a timely manner.
· Prepares and monitors management reports and provides input for the Procurement Agency Activity Report.
· Schedules and conducts pre-bid conferences and site visits that lead to discussion/negotiation conferences with DGS Personnel; potential bidders and representatives of industry. Coordinates and/or performs pre-award survey to determine contractor responsibility.
· Knowledgeable on the following: State Finance and Procurement Division II, General Procurement Law COMAR Title 21; Board of Public Works directive and advisories; and Departmental policies, procedures and guidelines.
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: One year of contract management or procurement experience involving duties such as: soliciting, evaluating, negotiating and awarding contracts or ensuring compliance with procurement laws, regulations and conditions.
1. Candidates may substitute professional or paraprofessional contract management or procurement experience on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute additional graduate education at an accredited college or university at the rate of thirty credit hours for each year of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute the following written certifications, obtained through passing an examination for the required education: Certified Purchasing Manager from the National Association of Purchasing Management; Certified Professional Contracts Manager from the National Contract Management Association; Certified Public Purchasing Officer or Certified Professional Public Buyer from the Universal Public Purchasing Certification Council (National Institute of Governmental Purchasing, Inc. or National Association of State Purchasing Officers).
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Contracting and Industrial Management classifications or Contracting and Industrial Management specialty codes in the Procurement field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following preferred qualifications. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
1. Previous State of Maryland procurement experience at the professional or para-professional level is highly desired.
2. Three (3) years of experience in private or public sector contract administration, purchasing and vendor management is preferred.
3. Candidates with experience soliciting and managing contracts for equipment, services, construction and or A/E are preferred.
4. Previous experience using Maryland's Financial Management Information System (FMIS) is preferred.
5. Fundamental knowledge of the bidding and purchasing process and procedures, or formal governmental purchasing experience is preferred.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this position. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. We highly recommend that you submit your transcript when you apply for the position.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Applicants are encouraged to upload proof of education (transcripts), professional license and certifications, when applicable, during the recruitment process as these items will be required at the time of selection.
Contact email@example.com or call 410-767-1386 with questions about this recruitment.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dbm.maryland.gov – click on the State Jobs tab. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Room 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay