ASSESSOR I, COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL
|Department||DAT Real Property Valuation|
|Date Opened||2/5/2019 11:27:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||2/19/2019 4:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$44,898.00 - $71,671.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Susan Derlunas|
This is a Position Specific Recruitment for the Baltimore City Assessments Office only.
This recruitment is limited to current Assessments and Taxation employees only.
*If a candidate is within six months of meeting the minimum qualifications, they are eligible to apply for the position.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Baltimore City Assessments Office
William Donald Schaefer Tower
6 Saint Paul Street, 11th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21202-1608
Main Purpose of Job
- Inspects commercial and industrial property to determine the appraisal value;
- Analyzes sales papers, existing market data, and applies appraisal procedures in order to determine the value of land or buildings;
- Prepares, presents and defends determination of commercial value at all levels of the appeal process;
- Determines costs to be added or eliminated, such as, but not limited to: taxes, insurance, maintenance, rental income and management costs;
- Reviews financial reports, profit and loss statements, tax returns and other cost data in order to adjust appraisal values;
- Consults with the Assessor Manager, Real Property or other administrators and specialists to determine assessment methods and procedures and to elicit evaluation opinions;
- Contacts owners of property, corporate tax representatives, attorneys and accountants to obtain access to property, to gather data for the appraisal or to review the findings of the assessment.
Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Completion of the International Association of Assessing Officers Courses 101, 102 and 300 or equivalent courses approved by the Department of Assessments and Taxation.
Experience: Three years of appraisal experience estimating the value of real property performed in accordance with the provisions of the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice Code.
Note: Additional appraisal experience involving the valuation of Real property may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in the valuation of residential and/or commercial and industrial properties.
- Relevant coursework. (i.e., Income Approach to Valuation; Mass Appraisal; Real Estate; Business; Mathematics etc.)
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be required to have daily use of a motor vehicle while on official State business. Standard mileage allowance will be paid for use of a privately owned vehicle.
2. Upon appointment, persons possessing a real estate broker or sales license, or a license to sell insurance, will be required to put same in an “inactive” status.
3. Employees are prohibited from participating in any outside activity, including private appraisals, which may be deemed a conflict of interest by the Director of the Department of Assessments and Taxation.
Please read the job announcement in its entirety before applying for this recruitment.
Applicants must meet all minimum qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position.
The supplemental questions will be used as part of the rating process.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application. Online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and resume to:
Department of Assessments and Taxation, Attn: Human Resources Department, Room 511, 300 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
Applications must be received by the closing date and time.
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 410-767-1140.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.