ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST TRAINEE
|Department||MDH Local Health - Howard County|
|Date Opened||2/8/2019 12:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/1/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$37,289.00 - $48,005.00/year, with potential growth to $58,965.00|
|HR Analyst||Jennifer Bui|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
This position functions as a field Environmental Health Specialist for Howard County Health Department, Bureau of Environmental Health, a regulatory agency charged with responsibility for prevention of disease transmission through environmental factors. Various inspections and complaint follow-ups are conducted on licensed Retail Food Service Facilities in Howard County in accordance with applicable regulatory standards intended to protect the public's health. This position is assigned to the Food Protection Program.
To qualify for a license, an applicant must satisfy the education, experience and examination requirements described in the health specialists licensing law. An applicant must meet the education and experience requirements to become eligible for examination. The experience requirement may be met by obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility from the Board that allows the applicant to be employed as an environmental health specialist in-training. The minimum education and experience requirements are:
A baccalaureate degree (any major) from an accredited college or university that includes:
- at least 30 semester credit hours in the physical, biological or environmental sciences;
- at least one laboratory course in two of the following: chemistry, physics or biology, soil science, geographic information systems; and
- a course in mathematics.
Experience- at least 24 months of practice as an environmental health specialist
An applicant can also qualify for examination with these other combinations of education and experience:
- A master’s degree in public health that includes the course work described in 1-3 above and 3 months in an internship approved by the Board or 3 months In-Training.
- A baccalaureate degree in the physical, biological or environmental sciences that includes at least 60 semester credit hours of the sciences described in #1 above, and the lab courses and the math course described in #2 and #3 above. The experience requirement for an applicant with this education background is 12 months of experience in practice as an environmental health specialist.
General requirements: Each degree used to satisfy the education requirement must have been from an accredited college or university in the United States, or an equivalent institution outside the United States.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. At the time of hire, candidates for positions in this classification must possess a certificate of eligibility to be licensed as an Environmental Health Specialist from the Maryland Board of Environmental Health Specialists. Applicants that do not have an active Certificate of Eligibility from the MD Board of Environmental Health Specialists must submit a copy of their transcript with their application.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Applicants who meet the minimum (and selective) qualifications will be included in further evaluation. The evaluation may be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. Clearly indicate your college degree and major on your application, if applicable. For education obtained outside the U.S., any job offer will be contingent on the candidate providing an evaluation for equivalency by a foreign credential evaluation service prior to starting employment (and may be requested prior to interview).
Complete applications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be added.
Incorrect application forms will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Candidates may remain on the certified eligible list for a period of at least one year. The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application (and supplemental questionnaire) may be submitted to MDH, Recruitment and Selection Division, 201 W. Preston St., Room 114-B, Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If you are unable to upload, please fax the requested information to 410-333-5689. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the MDH Recruitment and Selection Division at 410-767-1251.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|