DJS YOUTH RECREATION SPECIALIST I
|Department||DJS Metro Region - State Operated Facilities|
|Date Opened||5/30/2019 8:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/13/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$33,178.00 - $52,095.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Bonnie Smith|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Juvenile Services
Cheltenham Youth Facility
11003 Frank Tippett Rd.
Cheltenham, MD 20623
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Maryland Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: One year of experience supervising the recreational activities of children or youth in a recreation center, fitness center or school setting.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209, Annotated Code of Maryland.
2. Candidates may substitute possession of an Associate of Arts degree from an accredited college or university in a recreational program such as Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies; Sports and Fitness Administration or Health and Physical Education or 60 credit hours with 30 credit hours in the required areas for the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Recreation Aid and Assistant classifications or Recreation Aid Assistant specialty codes in the Social Science, Psychology and Welfare field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Experience scheduling recreational activities to meet needs of adolescent youth
Experience demonstrating safe use of physical education equipment
Bachelor's Degree in Physical Education
Two or more years of experience working with at risk youth is preferred.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification must complete and successfully pass the Entrance Level Correctional Training Course for DJS support staff required for the Maryland Correctional Training Commission certificate during the probationary period.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. In accordance with the Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209 of the Annotated Code of Maryland, the Maryland Correctional Training Commission shall establish the minimum qualifications for probationary or permanent appointment of a Department of Juvenile Services employee. These requirements are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.10.01.04, general regulations of the Maryland Correctional Training Commission, and include:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
Must be at least 21 years of age
A thorough background check, including fingerprinting and drug testing
An oral interview, and
Physical and psychological examinations.
2. Employees in this classification may be subject to call-in and, therefore, may be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number where the employee can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09 – Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Online application process is STRONGLY preferred. A paper application may be mailed to the address below or faxed to the fax number below. If you choose fax or regular mail you must include on each page of the attachment your First and Last Name, the Recruitment Number that is located at the top of the bulletin and the last 4 digits of your SS#. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the online application or paper application. Applications must be received by the closing date no postmarks will be accepted. Incorrect application forms will not be accepted:
Maryland Department of Juvenile Services
OHR-Recruitment and Examination Unit
One Center Plaza
120 W. Fayette St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Attn: Bonnie Smith
Fax Number 410-333-4188
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
The resulting Certified Eligible List for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other state agencies.
Should additional information regarding this recruitment be required, please contact DJS Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the Recruitment Number that is located at the top of the bulletin.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Bilingual applicants are welcome to apply for all recruitments.
DJS values the experience gained by Veterans while serving our country. Veterans are welcome to apply for all current recruitments.